Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see what the problem would be but in the instructions for my stage 2 hotcam it says to not use syth oil for the breakin of my new cam. I've never seen problems with using synth. Is there or am I right? :3question:

·
Registered
511 Posts
now the synthetic is used to lube and protect. cam wont break in with synthetic properly as it is very slick. u need the parts to bond together while they work so there is a proper break in. if the manufacturer said not to then it really shouldnt be a question.

maybe i missed it.

CApt

·
Registered
357 Posts
stlboarder said:
I don't see what the problem would be but in the instructions for my stage 2 hotcam it says to not use syth oil for the breakin of my new cam. I've never seen problems with using synth. Is there or am I right? :3question:
From Crane:

Do not use synthetic oil during the break-in period. It is not recommended to use any type of oil restrictors to the lifter galley, or use windage trays, baffles,or plug any oil return holes in the valley. Oil has a two-fold purpose, not only to lubricate, but to draw the heat away from whatever it comes in contact with. The cam needs oil splash from the crankcase, and oil run-back from the top of the engine to help draw the heat away. Without this oil flow, all the heat generated at the cam is transferred to the lifter, which can contribute to it's early demise.

Sounds good to me. I think they know their stuff. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chicagoland Atv said:
stlboarder said:
From Crane:

Do not use synthetic oil during the break-in period. It is not recommended to use any type of oil restrictors to the lifter galley, or use windage trays, baffles,or plug any oil return holes in the valley. Oil has a two-fold purpose, not only to lubricate, but to draw the heat away from whatever it comes in contact with. The cam needs oil splash from the crankcase, and oil run-back from the top of the engine to help draw the heat away. Without this oil flow, all the heat generated at the cam is transferred to the lifter, which can contribute to it's early demise.

Sweet... thanks man.

My clutch is fine with syth. I run amsoil right now.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Chicagoland Atv said:
stlboarder said:
From Crane:

Not trying to call anyone out here, but the KTM I just picked up new a few hours ago comes from the factory with synthetic break in oil...What gives ?? :3question:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
oli700 said:
alot of things come with synthetic from the factory these days.
Thats exactly what I was thinking, we have some conflicting info.....sort of.. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts