Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chain isnt back on it yet but i started it and just gave it gas and when I give it alot of gas I notice white smoke and then some black!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Broke Chain no cracks in case but when I start it i see white and black smok

When I spin the sprocket in Neutral with my hand i notice it rotates freely around until a small point where it hangs a little... does anybody know if this is normal?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
ktreece said:
The chain isnt back on it yet but i started it and just gave it gas and when I give it alot of gas I notice white smoke and then some black!
You just got this quad, right?
Is it possible that it's smoked the whole time and you just noticed?
White smoke is oil or water, black is carbon buildup being blown out or a very rich fuel mixture.
Air filter clean?
What does the exhaust smell like? Sweet? Gas?
Watch your coolant level and oil levels, look at the plug. Whats it telling you?

Scroll down and there's a link to another page with pics of plugs and a discription of each condition.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqread.asp?nav=31200&country=US

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Broke Chain no cracks in case but when I start it i see white and black smok

Yeah the previous owner said it smoked before so I guess it didnt cause that... (Never look behind me at full throttle)... Now im just worried about that sprocket

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Your rappy shouldnt be smoking white. It shouldn't really be smoking at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

BTW what goes above the chain in this picture? I think something is missing but I cant find anywhere in the part search as to what it might be...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

... yeah so I suck at picture resize on the mac...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

What would that be under in the Yamaha parts search?

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts

Stock is a crappy soft rubber, you want a poly roller. UPP makes them, they're about 15 bucks at magicracing.com

I used to go through about 3 stock ones in a full year, now only 1 of the aftermarket ones will last me about a year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

should I go ahead and replace the bottom with it?

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts

If it's not in bad shape I wouldn't worry about it. They usually only wear out if your suspension is moving around a lot or the chain isn't adjusted properly. The suspension has to sit pretty low or pretty high to constantly make contact with the rollers.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but Clean Your Quad!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

DECEPTiON21 said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but Clean Your Quad!
Oh trust me I know it needs cleaned!! Its semi apart right now for the greatest cleaning of its life!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Beware:
Once I broke my chain and bound it up in the case, case did not break or crack.
BUT
when I installed the new chain. Bububbubua booy the 2nd gear had broke 3 teeth and the trans had to be rebuilt.

See the chain jams the main output shaft and cranks the shaft away from the other gear and ding .

Sorry good luck
I hope you do not have the problem I did

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

686 yamaha said:
Beware:
Once I broke my chain and bound it up in the case, case did not break or crack.
BUT
when I installed the new chain. Bububbubua booy the 2nd gear had broke 3 teeth and the trans had to be rebuilt.

See the chain jams the main output shaft and cranks the shaft away from the other gear and ding .

Sorry good luck
I hope you do not have the problem I did
I drove it and didn't notice anything with 2nd gear... but that was just for an hour or so... now I have it taken apart putting all new bushings,bearings, and ball joints in it...so I really haven't ridden it much to tell if its messed up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.