Raptor Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Here`s a few pics of the rocker arm feet, both exh, complete rocker arm assemblies have about 100hrs on them, no visible damage from the pin that i can see.
Maybe you got the one bad pin that was forged on a Friday...I wouldn't give up on the decompression. Use any aftermarket set up you want (e.g.Weller Racing or Big Daddy if available) the cam gear pins will have locking nuts on them, then you'll have worry-free starting without stress on the starter and relay. Watch the return springs that work the counter weights, I didn't pay attention once and one wasn't secure enough and it fell to the bottom of the motor during operation...I took the top end down for inspection and caught it early enough there wasn't any damage.
You may want to hone the bore that the decompression pin slides in the cam and make sure it isn't hanging on a burr and/or the pin-spring is working properly.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Maybe you got the one bad pin that was forged on a Friday...
That's what I'm thinking also.........

I wouldn't give up on the decompression. Use any aftermarket set up you want (e.g.Weller Racing or Big Daddy if available) the cam gear pins will have locking nuts on them, then you'll have worry-free starting without stress on the starter and relay. Watch the return springs that work the counter weights, I didn't pay attention once and one wasn't secure enough and it fell to the bottom of the motor during operation...I took the top end down for inspection and caught it early enough there wasn't any damage.
You may want to hone the bore that the decompression pin slides in the cam and make sure it isn't hanging on a burr and/or the pin-spring is working properly.
Good advice right there.......... :)

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,292 Posts
I just tach welded the decompression shaft in the cam. 4 small tacks on the end of the cam. That way if I wanted to remove it I could cut the welds with a dremel and smooth the end of the cam up with a belt sander.

Then just strip all the stuff of the cam sprocket
Bump for YamahaSpecial.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts