Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally happened... I had the inevitable head stud break at the dunes this weekend, luckily it was our last ride so wasnt too big of deal.

So here is my question... seems simple enough, rip the head off, easy out, put in new stud (i have a spare head that I can steal one from)

Any tips or tricks to this? Should I heat the area up before running the easy out through it?

Also, any idea what size easy out I need?

Is there any upgrades? Stronger studs or???

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
It finally happened... I had the inevitable head stud break at the dunes this weekend, luckily it was our last ride so wasnt too big of deal.

So here is my question... seems simple enough, rip the head off, easy out, put in new stud (i have a spare head that I can steal one from)

Any tips or tricks to this? Should I heat the area up before running the easy out through it?

Also, any idea what size easy out I need?

Is there any upgrades? Stronger studs or???
Head bolt or exhaust stud...............

·
Registered
560 Posts
Is there any of the bolt sticking out of the head or did it break flush or below the surface? Sometimes you can weld a nut on the stud and turn it out after it cools

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oops, should have verified... exhaust stud, and nothing is sticking out, broke off flush

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Weld a nut to it. Make sure you let it cool off before you try to turn it out. Other wise the heat from welding will swell the bolt in the aluminum.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant get a nut on it. Its actually broke off inside the head a little bit now that I look at

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You should be able to hold the nut up to the head. Then fill in the center.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts