Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, rode 06 raptor 700 all day the other day as I have done so many times since I have owned it and had had a blast with the boys. No issues. Next day out, bike runs completely different. Lower idle noticed right away. Bike at the time other than difference in idle seem to run ok so I took it out for a ride. Shortly therafter while on the trail, bike started running like complete dogsh#$t. Engine was backfiring and would not run unless I had my thumb on the throttle. I milked it back home changed the plug which was fouled, bike fired up running much better. Went back out and before long, bike started doing it again even after installing new plug. I noticed that while riding I could smell fuel. Needless to say, I was done for the day. Someone please help me out if you have had this problem! Bike will not start on its own even though its EFI. Cleaned K&N, so I know I've got good air. I've got good spark with the new plug however, when removed plug to check for spark, I noticed plug was wet, and while turning over engine, fuel sprays out of spark plug hole. Before I take it down to Yamaha to have it diagnosed on the computer, has anyone experienced this frustrating issue? If so, how did you fix it? I don't want to pay Yamaha when I can turn my own wrenches. I just need to know where to start or what parts to buy. Again..... SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, lets start by verifying your spark plug-

Check the manual for the proper gaping of the spark plug. Then test the plug by removing it from the quad and pressing it against a cylinder head bolt and cranking it up. The plug should spark. If you are not getting spark and you are sure you tested it properly, I would look at replacing the plug and trying this test again or getting a new coil.

(It would also be a good idea to make sure no connections have come loose or have been shorted.)

Next, with those basic mods you are going to probably need an FCU because it also sounds like you might be running really rich. There are lots of maps out there for similar mods to yours so you won't need to dyno your atv. You just need to purchase an FCU, install, load the new program that one of the members gives you, program it in and test it out. It really sounds like you are rich with the fuel smell, backfiring and fouled plugs. Those are all symptoms of a bad A/F map.

Start with this, let us know what happens!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Alkire 193....Do not have owners manual. New plug is gapped at .030 per spec received by Yamaha. Grounded plug on header pipe and have good spark between electrode and tang. I checked all connections and seem to be good there. Again, while cranking over engine to check plug, fuel spraying out hole. Mods have been installed for about 3.5 months now and bike had been running fine up until now. I have been planning on installing the Power Commander 5 because of mods and wanting optimum performance but, haven't purchased it yet. Still nothing. Bike will only start if I give throttle, and will die after fuel is used up and sounds horrible while running. Please Advise...

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the plug was fouled with the mods you have and no programmer it could be a tps it is not uncommon with the symptoms you describe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts