Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I used a back strap from a after market radio, the factory tab on the bottom was ok and top broke off. I used the chain roller bolt and use the bolt from the case saver and a lock nut. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I think it's a good idea in that it's probably better than not running one at all if you've broken your upper tab. I don't think it's a permanent fix, however, and would still suggest proper repair when you can get to it.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
thats a really good idea.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's a good idea in that it's probably better than not running one at all if you've broken your upper tab. I don't think it's a permanent fix, however, and would still suggest proper repair when you can get to it.
I will, but my welder friend I use is so back up right now, I wanted to be safe until then.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I will, but my welder friend I use is so back up right now, I wanted to be safe until then.
In which case I think it's an excellent stop gap, and an ingenious idea.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
In which case I think it's an excellent stop gap, and an ingenious idea.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
+1. But I would seriously look into buying a T.M. type case saver to keep it from breaking again once you get it rewelded. It allows some give when the chain breaks to allow less stress on the mount points, while still protecting your case. Awesome mod BTW!

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
+1. But I would seriously look into buying a T.M. type case saver to keep it from breaking again once you get it rewelded. It allows some give when the chain breaks to allow less stress on the mount points, while still protecting your case. Awesome mod BTW!
Again, (carpenter tried this suggestion a day or two ago) they do not make a TM poly case saver for the 660.

I personally would like to know more about how the poly copes with a chain break, after seeing what a couple of my billet pieces looked like on my 660 after the fact. Mostly I'm concerned with how well it would protect the case and whether or not it would truly save the upper mount. However I am sufficiently pleased with the design and what I have heard that I'd be willing to try one myself, if they had them for a 660.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
To bad TM doenst make one for the raptor. I have one on my banshee and they are made really well. They brace against the cases so they dont rely on just a few wimpy bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I have one of the TM savers on my banshee. The moose one that i bought for my 660 is very similar but still broke the case mounts when it jumped. Someday I will pull it back apart and weld them back on but for now the lower bolt is holding it in place. If it jumps again it can't do any more damage than the first time it broke. The moose one for the 700 looks very sturdy and slides RIGHT up to the case. When I got it the case tabs were broke so I welded them back on and hopefully won't have an issue if it jumps in the future.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
what are you, or did you use to weld back on? i just bought mine and noticed its missing the upper bolt hole, so what would you suggest i use?
Weld an aluminum dowel to the area of the case that the mount is missing and then drill and tap it........

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still using same bracket I made, no troubles!!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Weld an aluminum dowel to the area of the case that the mount is missing and then drill and tap it........
Or drill and dap the dowel, and bolt it to a good straight case saver, then weld it on. That way its held in place for you as you welding. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put a new CT Racing exhaust, headers, pro flow kit and jets over the weekend. After jetting it yesterday morn, the chain broke on the first good launch. It broke my top tab off, now I have to fix mine. I want to try and figure out a way to weld it without taking the while motor off the frame!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still working!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had a upp poly one on my 660. Had to pay retail for it but it seemed to be legit. It slides over the grove there so Like stated it dose not only rely on the bolts

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
Make no mistake, this is a great fix by OP and definitely a way out. Its not my intention to take anything away from OP, but another member on here, Selland74 also makes a broken case saver repair kit. The only reason I am posting this is to put more info out on what is available. Just sayin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts