Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so today i was working on the raptor. (what else is new) :banghead:
The starter motor itself was stuck in the stator cover housing. I tryed banging out the starter motor with a mallet, and a ball paean hammer. I eventually got it and got what needed to be done. I just got it all back together and now the starter motor wont turn over :mad: I cleaned out the inside of the starter motor, and reassembled it correctly. I also checked my grounds and hooked up my wiring correctly. I took the starter gears off just so the starter motor could spin freely and nothing. Did I mess something up? I noticed before the starter shaft had a little free play (back and forth) and now theres nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Master of the Electron
15,529 Posts
Obviously, if the starter turned before and it doesn't now, you screwed something up. Pull it, and manually turn it - is it seized? You may have bound it up during re-assembly.

Also check the brushes.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured. I can manually turn it, but only if i use vice grips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i just changed mine and cant really see where something like what you are describing could have happened. I did the starter clutch at the same time and when i took the stator cover off the starter was a bit difficult to get off the cover but it only needed a little coaxing with a rubber mallet. I cant really see where you went wrong...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive done it before but i dont see this time how it got messed up. Either way, beating it a little bit could have messed something up, ill have to double check. When i hit the start button, the relay just clicks.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys, so today i was working on the raptor. (what else is new) :banghead:
The starter motor itself was stuck in the stator cover housing. I tryed banging out the starter motor with a mallet, and a ball paean hammer. I eventually got it and got what needed to be done. I just got it all back together and now the starter motor wont turn over :mad: I cleaned out the inside of the starter motor, and reassembled it correctly. I also checked my grounds and hooked up my wiring correctly. I took the starter gears off just so the starter motor could spin freely and nothing. Did I mess something up? I noticed before the starter shaft had a little free play (back and forth) and now theres nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks.
you did say you beat it with a hammer, not good.............:eek:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you did say you beat it with a hammer, not good.............:eek:
I know, that sounds a little much. I didnt actually "beat" like to where the point it was mushroomed and what not, more like tapping, with a little force, but i didnt think it would effect anything, as ive done that before. Guess this time it didnt work out too good :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
thats what rubber mallets and rawhide mallets are made for....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts