Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know my way around a YFZ, but haven't messed much with a Raptor motor.. Quick background, this motor is in a buggy, not a quad.. I bought an '04 quad and spare '01 motor, so this build will happen on the spare motor.

Buggy weighs in around 1000 lbs with driver / fluids.. Gearing is 12/60 now, and will be 14/60 shortly. The extra teeth in the rear help to propel the extra weight.

Primary driving area is kind of like Hatfield McCoy trails. This is a woods buggy where torque and bottom end are preferred, unlike a dunes buggy that wants a hayabusa. It's not a drag bike, but I want more power than a stock bike.

Since the spare motor appears to be an '01 based on the wiring harness, obviously the first call of order is to upgrade the transmission to '02+..

Since I will be cracking the case for the transmission upgrade, and its not a "gotta get it back together next week" kind of project, I will be taking my time to buy the right parts and assemble one bad-ass motor.

I can not buy an off-the-shelf exhaust, as it will have to be modified (shortened). Current exhaust is a full header (modified) and can from LRD. Would prefer to keep this exhaust if possible. Current intake is no air box w/ K&N's and outerwears.

So.. Where to begin? What would you do? and more importantly, WHY? I don't want a list of favorite parts, I would like a list of upgrades and how they will benefit this project (keeping in mind its not your normal raptor 660 build).

Clutch? Need something that will withstand the extra weight..

Cams? Big Bore? Crank? Carbs? Triple plug head?

What would you do? This build will happen this summer / fall, so please gimme a few ideas! Overall goal would be more power / torque. top speed isn't the goal, getting from turn A to turn B the fastest is.. And reliability! I want a durable build, even if its at the expense of some top end.. I don't want to be rebuilding it regularly... LOL

Thanks in advance!

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
What is it's performance like right now, and what would you like to have more of? Since you imply top speed is not a desire, why go from 12 to 14 up front, reducing torque at the rear wheels by more than 15%?

Glad to see it's running.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Right now, its quite powerful with the '04 motor thats just air filter / jets / pipe.. Surprisingly so for the weight of the buggy. Wheels break free super easily, and I am turning 26" Maxxis Bighorn knockoffs (G-Force Trilobites).

The 14 up front is mainly for the 530 chain and sprocket setup, the 12t that I have is a 520, and will work with a little slop with the chain. Hard to find a 12T in 530 size.

I figure since this will be a multi-month project, I might as well do what I can, while I can. So, with the 14 tooth 530 up front, perhaps some more HP to compensate? Remember, the weight is considerably more, so more HP is always nice..

Reliability under stress is big too, considering the size.. So don't just think in terms of big horsepower generators, but something that will hold up to the stress of pushing the buggy.. I can sacrifice a little power for durability. I've heard of snapped cranks and thrown rods, and would want to build to minimize the chances of either.

The three plug head intrigues me because of the way people describe its instant response. Reminds me of the power curve in my YFZ's.. And the powerplant as she stands now is ok, but doesnt quite pull like the YFZ. A more comparable powercurve maybe?

Clutch will definitely need attention.. I definitely sense some slippage (existing plates, but I am sure new plates aren't going to solve all the issues). I've seen some clutches for high HP motors, lockout, etc, but have no experience (they are for drag racing I assume? havent seen them in XC). I think thats the weakest link in my driveline, the local shop thinks I will burn clutches left and right (and he swears by the belt drives w/ CVT's). I know these buggys get Hayabusa street bike motors and their clutches hold up propelling the extra weight.. So, what could I do to the clutch to minimize the slippage / beef it up?

I figure this will be the only time I build a motor for this buggy (and in the meantime I will be running the '04 in it), so might as well get the most bang for my buck, and do whatever I need to while I have the case split.

More HP and torque, and the ability to transfer it to the wheels would be the goal..

In a nutshell, I want to destroy the local polaris Razr's... hehehe

·
Registered
521 Posts
a new cam will you give some more low end torque, a hot cam stage 1 will help you out on stock valve springs, stage 2 & 3 will help even more but if i remember correctly, you'll need new springs for those.
a mild bore (102mm?) paired with a new crank (either stock or +4) will give you some more power without hurting reliability all that much (just remember to take care of it)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts