Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy that wants to trade me a "built" 660 motor but I think he's valuing it to high so can someone give me some insight.

Bored to 686
12-1 compression
Port/polished head
Stage 2 Hot Cam and double springs.

Motor was never actually started after rebuild, it broke a rocker are while they were cranking it. he has the "valve" cover offer so I can see that's what happened and you can also see all the assembly lube and grease still on everything.

As far as I know the rest is stock, if I do trade for it I'll pull the covers off to see for myself.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Probably broke a rocker because it was out of time. Rockers usually don't just break unless the valve hit the piston. My guess is this is what happened. I bent its got a bent valve from it or at least it should be inspected. Also could have messed up other stuff but I bet more will chime in also saying that the rockers don't just break. Also what crank? unless its got a HD rod or HR crank 12:1 is iffy to run.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I paid trinity racing $1200 to bore mine to 686, port and polish the head, new valves and springs, 11.1 comp piston, stage 2 cam, and a gasket kit. I wouldnt use trinity again and i dont know if i got hosed on the price or not but i hope this helps.

·
Registered
881 Posts
12:1 piston $200
Bore and hone $65
Port & polish $450 estimated trail style port labor
Can and springs $250
Labor $$$$ don't know if he rebuilt it himself and didn't do it properly. It may need to be rebuilt again if he's having problems getting his drivetrain to stay together. At the most I'd only give this guy 2k worth of credit on his motor if it is still in running condition.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Was it one of the intake rockers? Willykiller said he has had to clearance the valveguide on the center intake valve IIRC. Not sure if this would be the issue just seems crazy that it would just break though. Sounds like something is hitting somewhere.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was it one of the intake rockers? Willykiller said he has had to clearance the valveguide on the center intake valve IIRC. Not sure if this would be the issue just seems crazy that it would just break though. Sounds like something is hitting somewhere.
Thats exactly the one that broke! If he doesn't chime in I'll shoot him a PM.

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
I'd be a little concerned - if he was so stupid as to not relieve the valve guide, what else has he done poorly / without proper information?

Unless you can prove it runs, you're buying a possible door stop.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
To me an Untouched motor is worth way more than a built one. As you can see you never know what your going to get.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'm a little confused about the valve guide, I have a stage 2 in my bike and never saw anything about relieving a valve guide and I wouldn't consider myself stupid. I just followed Hot Cams instructions and I haven't had an issue, yet........

I think all they did was install the cam because when I pulled the head the piston and valves have carbon all over them.

I plan on pulling the cylinder and covers off to inspect it before I reuse the motor, I'm going to keep it as a spare incase my wife or I have problems with one of ours.

I basically ended up giving $200 for the motor so I'm pretty sure I did ok. Not to mention I got a spare cylinder, stator cover w/ stator and a clutch cover with it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I guess I'm a little confused about the valve guide, I have a stage 2 in my bike and never saw anything about relieving a valve guide and I wouldn't consider myself stupid. I just followed Hot Cams instructions and I haven't had an issue, yet........

I think all they did was install the cam because when I pulled the head the piston and valves have carbon all over them.

I plan on pulling the cylinder and covers off to inspect it before I reuse the motor, I'm going to keep it as a spare incase my wife or I have problems with one of ours.

I basically ended up giving $200 for the motor so I'm pretty sure I did ok. Not to mention I got a spare cylinder, stator cover w/ stator and a clutch cover with it.
With the stage 3 HC you haft to clearance the center guid sometimes...Stage 2 & under you should be fine..

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the stage 3 HC you haft to clearance the center guid sometimes...Stage 2 & under you should be fine..
Ok, that was my understanding and one of the reasons I didn't go with a Stage 3 for my setup plus I mainly ride dunes and trails, I rarely get to 5th gear so I saw no reason for the extra cost and work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Ok, that was my understanding and one of the reasons I didn't go with a Stage 3 for my setup plus I mainly ride dunes and trails, I rarely get to 5th gear so I saw no reason for the extra cost and work.

Thanks.
I was stating this as willykiller has ran into head that needed to be clearanced. All the heads are different and some of them the cams sit lower and need more work done to them. Just something to check. I'll be honest I have never checked mine even with the stage 3 cam and X4:eek:

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
But, you see, we're talking about a stage three here (which occasionally needs to have the guide clearanced) AND the fact that the builder was able to break the rocker arm without even starting the engine up - IMO he's proven that he has very little expertise related to rebuilding and testing it - ergo my concern.

SO - now he wants to sell it...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think it has mire to do with a 16 yo kid trying to put a cam in. I dug deeper into it today and everyyhing else looks good. I'm going to put it back together next month and then trst it on my engine syand. Then I'll have a spare motor similar to whats in mine and a little beefer than my wifes Raptor.

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
I think it has mire to do with a 16 yo kid trying to put a cam in.
HUH? Where did we have THIS information before? So it's a 16 yo that did the 'built' rebuild himself?

"I have a guy that wants to trade me a "built" 660 motor " - built implies, to me at least, a professional job sort of akin to 'crate' (but a rebuild, not new)... My misunderstanding - my mistake.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HUH? Where did we have THIS information before? So it's a 16 yo that did the 'built' rebuild himself?

"I have a guy that wants to trade me a "built" 660 motor " - built implies, to me at least, a professional job sort of akin to 'crate' (but a rebuild, not new)... My misunderstanding - my mistake.
That was the information that i had initially, what this kid told me, after more talk that's the conclusion that I have come to.

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
I hope it works out well for you, assuming you buy it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts