Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Raptor 700's known to have more than normal bump steer in the nasty rocky stuff? I love the new bike, and I ride it pretty hard, but It's throwing alot back at me through the bars. The guy I ride with has a DVX 400 and by no means do I like his bike better, but it goes through the rocks nice and straights with very little feedback. I ride in New England where it is primarily rocks and nastiness.

Is this a known problem? Do I need a stabilizer?

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've noticed many on the forums are using the term "bump steer" to describe the handlebars getting jarred around from deflecting off rocks or rough trail terrain.

To clarify, by definition bump steer is the toe-in or toe-out of the front wheels as the suspension goes from normal ride height through full bump (suspension system moves up) to full droop (suspension system moves down). This change in toe-in setting causes the quad to feel like someone turned the steering wheel a bit. Bump steer affects handling as much setting toe-in does. It's severity is a function of the designed suspension geometry from the manufacture.

If what your feeling is the bars jarring you hands, wrists and arms as you ride thru the nasties then you definately could benefit from a quailty steering dampner. The forums are full of info about them so I'd suggest a little research is in order. I'm sure most will agree in this department, "you get what you pay for".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yes, I think I've used the incorrect term to describe my problem, although I am definitely feeling a bit of "real" bump steer as well as the condition that I previously described.

I will research the different stabilizers available. Any suggestions for a "best bang for the buck" would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
i agree with this space for rent. I love my CCP stabilizer and would classify it as the "best bang for your buck." they can be found on ebay.

the elka stabilizer would be awesome. i just didn't want to pay that much $$ for one. i read great things about the CCP, and decided to go that route. although if someone offered for me to ride their quad with an elka stabilizer on it i probably wouldn't just because then i'd want that one haha

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Had the same problem with my 700. Few items later, she was smoother than she'd ever been! Precision Pro Stabilizer, Fasst Flexx Bars, Rox anti vibe clamps. It was pricey though

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been looking at the ccp, it looks like a homemade item. So, overall, the general consensus is that people like them?

Is there a difference between a stabilizer and a dampner?

·
Registered
284 Posts
wheels other than stock with an offset to the outside greater than stock affect the amount of bump steer also but a steering damper is an amazing thing for any atv with too much bump steer, the small amount of weight is nothing compared to the improved ride!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've been looking at the ccp, it looks like a homemade item. So, overall, the general consensus is that people like them?

Is there a difference between a stabilizer and a dampner?
They're the same thing, only different terminology.

Unless ppl have riden with one of the top dampners it's difficult to make a knowledgeable comparison. What makes one better than another and are they worth the $$$$.

I've been fortunate to own and ride them all and always say some form of SD is one of the "must haves". Here's my input fwiw.

Stick dampner - works to dampen out steering impacts. much better than without, a definate must have. Adds dampning on both extend and retract strokes making a somewhat heavy steering feel. Prone to blowing seals so get a rebuildable.

CCP - same effect as the stick style but due to its puck design it offers greater reliability and longevity. Far less prone to blowing out seals and puking oil.

High end, fully adjustable - AWESOME. I really like the ability to adjust the "return to center" dampning. Hi/lo adjustibilty removes that heavy feel found on other dampers.
I can't even tell there's a dampner, it's totally working behind the scenes to keep me riding straight and hard w/o wrist/arm fatique. Combined with my Flexx bars and Rox anti-vibe risers it's like floating along on my anti-gravity machine.

I have an Elka System 5 dampner and couldn't be happier. All the high end units are very good and far superior to the stick style. Many will say their sticks work fine and they do. They are better than no dampner at all but I found they add an uncomfortable heavy feel to the steering in both directions.

Is $500 for a high end unit vs $100-225 for the stick/CCP worth it, that's hard to say and you'll have to make that call. I will say this though, once you've riden with the best it's hard to go back. Like myself, most that have them will say they are worth every penny.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts