Raptor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important are bumpers? Obviously the stock bumper is more of a grab handle than anything, but how much protection does an aftermarket aluminum bumper really give you? Is it more for "bumping" if you are racing? It seems that if you were trail riding you would be likely to swerve and hit with a wheel or miss the bumper anyway.
I like the look of the stock front end, but was thinking of adding an aftermarket V shaped bumber if I can find one I like in black. I just don't know if it's more for looks or would really add substantial protection.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally, I think DGperf [ http://www.dgperf.com ] makes nice bumpers. If you like the way stock looks but would still like after market, perhaps you would like this:

This is what I was looking at for myself but for some reason, I was told it's either B/O'd until Jan2007 or it's just not out yet (I couldn't even get a straight answer) this from a Yamaha dealer ordering from Parts Canada (partscanada.com presumably). This bumper is black, like stock, the only problem I see is in the description:

Built in the same style as our other V-Pro bumpers, the V-Lite uses 1 inch tubing for the lightest bumper DG has ever offered.

Light but probably not so strong. Strong or not though I'm still going with it for the look. There is another variant of the black one which is

"New for 2006- our popular race inspired National Series Front Bumper is now available in a black powder coated version"

but it will look ridiculous without a number. Then there's the alluminium GNCC typeII bumper which isn't bad. But like I said, I'm sticking with the one pictured above :thumbsup:

Erik

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My friend ran into a bathroom at the dunes...and the bumper saved the bike even if it got bent a little. I think they help. I just want to find a good looking one now.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rapt7ooR said:
Personally, I think DGperf....
Yeah, perfect, Erik :). I'm going to cheeck them out.
So many of the black ones I like have iron crosses or something in the center part. I saw one I liked plus a black grab bar in a mag that was made by Pro Aluminum, but the website says only for the 660s and all I get is a recording and a full memory on the answering machine when I call :3question: Maybe they aren't in business anymore.

So, they DO help a little bit, huh?. I guess a little bit is better than nothing :thumbsup:

Fred
gettin' there...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this is weird.... let's see what happens.
My "Bumpers" post disappeared. The only place I could find it was under My Profile, Show posts. When I hit reply it says the post is over 120 days old. Heck 120 days ago I was still thinking ute :crazy: let alone trying to find out if bumpers on a sport quad were for show or go.
BTW, I emailed you Dracus, but it got bounced back. Gotta love all this technology :p

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Hmm, that is very odd. Seems to be showing up correctly now on my end though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I even went as far as to look for it on another forum in case I really didn't post it here. It could have been a Twilight Zone episode :lol: Then I remembered that our individual posts could be found under our profile.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
I love the V shaped DG bumper but thought it would look wierd with a #plate on it so I went with Alba:

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
VelociRaptor said:
I love the V shaped DG bumper but thought it would look wierd with a #plate on it so I went with Alba:
yea the albe look's better then the DG.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Take a look at proarmor's site. They also have black bumpers.

Ap

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the pro armor bull bumper...i looks sweet and is VERY durable. Go to their web site they have pics of it mounted

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
700hornet,
I went to their website but only saw bumper pics by themselves, not mounted :3question: I was in the Raptor 700 section.
Is the "bull" bumper the one they call Bullhorn? Hard to tell how much protection that model would give compered to the loop/V style. Do you have a pic of yours you could share?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have always been able to pick out a cool bumper for my quads, but I'll tell ya what, I have had a really hard time picking one out for the 700!! I think the problem is, most of them look to fricken huge! And, with the low pointly nose, flat bumpers like the roll design intimidator look odd? Anyone run that bumper? Seems like you have to have a contoured bumper to make it look right.
Anyway, if you have pictures of your quad with an after market bumper PLEASE post them. I am still running the stock useless one!!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
135boom said:
Anyway, if you have pictures of your quad with an after market bumper PLEASE post them. I am still running the stock useless one!!!!
I thought I was the only one in this boat :unsure:

I just got off the phone with Tom from Sweetquads and contrary to their website, they actually do have more than 11 parts for a Raptor ::) He's trying to hunt me up a pic of the black AC bumper that's on their website on his YFZ :thumbsup:

It's just too dang hard to try and picture what a bumper looks like mounted. We need some kind of interactive website you can slide the parts onto a pic of a Raptor :grin_nod:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Std AC racing bumper...as u can see it also has a nice "skid plate" built into it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I had a hard time picking out a bumper as well. I almost ordered the Pro-armour Bull horn but saw the Bill Balance bumper and decided to go with it. Its a little big but for trail riding I like it :grin_nod:

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.