Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just had a question about my quad. its a 07 700 and ive been trail riding all weekend and my friends were saying that it was puffing a little bit of smoke every once and a while. so i checked my oil and it was a little low filled it up and checked it again before we left for home and it was a little over 3/4 full.

but i just had a cam installed,valve guides and a valve job done. my question is is it normal for a fresh rebuild to burn a little oil? there was some mechanic on the trails and he said it was normal to let the valves reseat themselves and said it should stop in like 10 hrs or something?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
i just had a question about my quad. its a 07 700 and ive been trail riding all weekend and my friends were saying that it was puffing a little bit of smoke every once and a while. so i checked my oil and it was a little low filled it up and checked it again before we left for home and it was a little over 3/4 full.

but i just had a cam installed,valve guides and a valve job done. my question is is it normal for a fresh rebuild to burn a little oil? there was some mechanic on the trails and he said it was normal to let the valves reseat themselves and said it should stop in like 10 hrs or something?
Did you do a piston at same time?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes there was a piston 11:1 cp which they took the jug out because the sleeve must of slipped down a little causing pressure to get into the raidiator overflow. when i had it in their shop i had them to a cam and valve job which then they said i had two exhaust guides bad so i replaced all four of them.

ran great other wise no coolant issues and it was a 140mi ride over 1 1/2 days

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
yes there was a piston 11:1 cp which they took the jug out because the sleeve must of slipped down a little causing pressure to get into the raidiator overflow. when i had it in their shop i had them to a cam and valve job which then they said i had two exhaust guides bad so i replaced all four of them.

ran great other wise no coolant issues and it was a 140mi ride over 1 1/2 days
It is possible that the rings have not seated or maybe ring endgap a little big or rings lined up. It shouldn't use oil from the start. When does it smoke? might help point you in the right direction. Does it smoke on decel?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah my friend said hes seen it when im slowing down for a turn and then giving it gas. so when it was in neutral i reved it a little and seen a little smoke comming out..very little only did it when it was slowing down from reving.

could the programmer be something to do with it? i doubt it but i just plugged it in and that was it. havent tuned it to the cam and piston yet.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
yeah my friend said hes seen it when im slowing down for a turn and then giving it gas. so when it was in neutral i reved it a little and seen a little smoke comming out..very little only did it when it was slowing down from reving.

could the programmer be something to do with it? i doubt it but i just plugged it in and that was it. havent tuned it to the cam and piston yet.
No programmer could be the cause of fuel smoke but the loss of oil is mechanical.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grr what really pisses me off is i normally do everything my self that i can but i finally spend the money to have stuff done by a professional and i literally have had nothing but problems with this machine. ive brought the motor into them twice and after that i brought the whole damn machine into them.

what are u suggesting i do now? it really doesnt smoke that much that i know of. think i should ride it one more weekend and see?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
grr what really pisses me off is i normally do everything my self that i can but i finally spend the money to have stuff done by a professional and i literally have had nothing but problems with this machine. ive brought the motor into them twice and after that i brought the whole damn machine into them.

what are u suggesting i do now? it really doesnt smoke that much that i know of. think i should ride it one more weekend and see?
I would document the oil level ride it then check it again. Get a idea of exactly how much it uses. You really need to have it tuned for your mods also.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Dump all of the oil out into some empty qt. bottles. You should have 2qts in there. Those dipsticks lie!!! I bet you overfilled it now LOL

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Yeah, drain the oil from the engine, do the tank. Fill 1 quart into the tank and the same into the engine... Follow the specs in your manual for instructions on how to do it properly, they have a procedure on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i suppose it wouldent hurt to drain it and check. and i know how much it takes ive noticed it using a little but out of the 8 months of having it built and bringing it back to them over and over this is the most its ever been rode this weekend. but i will check on the oil level planning to ride this weekend again.

I would document the oil level ride it then check it again. Get a idea of exactly how much it uses. You really need to have it tuned for your mods also.
i remember awhile ago someone posted on the dobak controllers on who had mods and what number they were using. anyone know where that thread is?

i would really like to tune it to the piston and cam combo also with the s/a out. anyway i can do this without having to have it dynoed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts