Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this 2007 raptor 700 running fine now after fixing a vacuum leak and come to find out, it’s burning coolant. I took the head off and it passed a pressure test and is getting resurfaced now. The head gasket also didn’t look damaged at all. Any clue on what else could cause the leak? I don’t want to put it all back together and find it still leaking you know? I’m very new to working on these lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got this 2007 raptor 700 running fine now after fixing a vacuum leak and come to find out, it’s burning coolant. I took the head off and it passed a pressure test and is getting resurfaced now. The head gasket also didn’t look damaged at all. Any clue on what else could cause the leak? I don’t want to put it all back together and find it still leaking you know? I’m very new to working on these lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Possible cylinder base gasket. What does the top of your piston look like, the intake side of your head looks like it has seen better days. If I had to guess I'd say that the pitting on your head could be a probable cause.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
155 Posts
It could possibly be a small head gasket leak. You didn't say how much coolant is being burnt or how you found it to be burning coolant. Being as it's a 2007 I can imagine it's had a few hours in it. Are you planning on resurfacing the cylinder or just the head? Just make sure you have everything flat and sealed and you should be ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright so the machinist informed me the head is too warped so I have my problem now. Since it’s a 2007, they don’t make new heads and I can’t find a good deal on a used head. Do heads off a newer raptor fit this one? If so, do you guys know what year raptor head would work? I’ve been researching and can’t find too much on it.

·
Administrator
9,550 Posts
That head should be fine, they didn’t change design until 2013.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I think the only difference between the 07 head and the 2010 head is the cam. On the 06-08 head the back bearing stays on the cam. On the 09+ head the back bearing stays in the head. I dont know if you could remove the back bearing from either the newer head or the back of the older cam to make them work together. If not, you will need a new cam too

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: morphrider

·
Administrator
9,550 Posts
Yup, good catch. Forgot about the cam.

Reactions: 4stroker4life

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so I have it all back together now since I finally had time to work on it and it cranks just fine but doesn’t even attempt to start. Almost feels like spark is missing but I checked the plug and it’s fine. Could there be something obvious that I missed since I’ve never worked on these before?

·
Administrator
9,550 Posts
You had the head off, correct? Did everything get put back at TDC with the cam? Did you check spark by having plug out, resting on the motor to see if there is spark? Can you hear fuel pump prime? Just trying to think of some simple solution first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts