Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a group that is going to this area Jan. 12-15th. None of us have been here before. I hear Gordon's Well has vendors etc. and Buttercup is just a campground. Give me the skinny. Any suggestions as to which area is better?

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have gone to both areas and I think Buttercup is by far better. You have Comp Hill around the corner vs. Gordon’s well you have to ride a lot to get to the gatherings. Both are getting overloaded but still manageable enough to have fun. We always have a group of friends that stay at Gordon’s and they eventually migrate to Buttercup. Plus buttercup has rattlesnake tacos at the red taco stand. Mainly just a preference on noise level and occupancy. My .02 since we go five times a year...
Any specifics just ask..
The dune riding is incredible if the sand is still virgin

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which side has bigger dunes? Is there just one camp area at Buttercup?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gordons Wells is more of a flatter hard pack area but still close enough to fun. Butter cup is a nice location for all the needs especially a lot of crappers down the paved road. Not sure about the camping area since it all depends on what you drive, since the sand is soft but a whole lot of people park all over depending on your rig but still family oriented. Don't think you can go wrong with butter cup since the dunes are bigger and comp is closer but Gordon's isn't really that far away. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get to Gordon's Well from Buttercup without playing Frogger on I-8?

·
Registered
12 Posts
They have allowed bikes and buggies to ride on the bridge between Gordon's and Buttercup (gray's well).

IMO Glamis beats both Gordon's and Buttercup.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any dunes is better than no dunes. Our group is looking for something different. I have had split reviews; some say they like the Buttercup vibe and won't go back to Glamis and some say Glamis rules. I'll have to find out for myself. Expect a full report when we get back though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Of course Glamis is better but death is more likely. :'( W I would of commented on all the fun at Glamis but it wasn't asked. You'll just have to see when you go out there. You can always pack up camp if you wanna move on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The dunes on Gordon's side get alot bigger than the Buttercup side but the camping is nicer on the south side. Gordon's is just one big dust bowl at night. Gordon's also has the drags there every evening and test hill all day and all night, plus access Patton.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
raptorflash said:
The dunes on Gordon's side get alot bigger than the Buttercup side but the camping is nicer on the south side. Gordon's is just one big dust bowl at night. Gordon's also has the drags there every evening and test hill all day and all night, plus access Patton.
So would you camp at Buttercup then go play on the north side all day or is that too much of a pain?

·
Registered
679 Posts
headingnorth said:
Any dunes is better than no dunes. Our group is looking for something different. I have had split reviews; some say they like the Buttercup vibe and won't go back to Glamis and some say Glamis rules. I'll have to find out for myself. Expect a full report when we get back though.

dude where are you located. depending where you live there is a nice place that is about two hours from where i live that has some what of dunes. its called hotwell dunes a.k.a. bowie.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are all coming from Havasu. Tell me more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
jowel that bowie is down by tuson to far for a weekend mabe a three or four day

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, Havasu to Tucson is a grueling drive. Lot's of places to ride within 3 hours of here.

·
Registered
679 Posts
yea my fault i didt know where you were located. and rvrappy is right it is good if you have a lot of time to do it or if you get the time off from work. but its a fun place. where do you ride in havasu and d you go to yuma sometimes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Glamis > Buttercup > Gordons Wells :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
HEY IF YOU GUYS STAY OVER @ BUTTERCUP GOTTA BECAREFUL I HEARD OF PEOPLE GET'N HELD UP BY GUNS FROM SOME GUYS WALKING INTO CAMPS.LAST I HEARD WAS @ HALLOWEEN.I CAMP THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY @ GORDON WELLS ALOT MORE SAFE.JUST THOUGH I WOULD GIVE YOU THE LOW DOWN. -JAKE

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
lol. Been goin there for two years now religiously, never even heard of that happening to a friend of a friend of a friend. The only people there with guns are the border patrol and the ICSO (and me). If you go onto the Mexico side, there is a chance you will see some Federalis. Seen them once in two years. Just dont let them get within half a mile of you and you'll be fine.

The only unsafe thing at buttercup is the dumbass drunks. If you are with your family, i'd suggest Buttecup, its more relaxed i think.
Gordon's just turns into a dust pit that goes from the drags all the way to Pratt's compound (which is ridiculous, btw).

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know this post is kinda old but just FYI,

I was in Yuma for 5 months out of the year for the last 2 years.

I found the best hill climbs were at the North side of I8 Greys wells (correct me if I'm wrong...lol) second exit to the dunes after butter cup.

Butter cup is a great place to ride open flats for miles, great comp hill lots of climbs and jumps, just be carefull of the razor backs they come when you least expect it (5'-10' drop)

went to Glamis one time, will admit, great riding, dunes for days lots of fun, the only down side was the camping, took my 24' toy hauler pulled by my dodge one ton. Sand is realy soft the only camping I could find and feel real good about being able to get out with out being pulled was on the side of the road. But like I said I was only there one time for camping but the riding is out standing.

But if your going on a first time trip, my suggetion is to go to buttercup, it's outstanding dunes , they have vendors on the weekend and your 16 miles from a major town that has gas and spare parts.

Have fun and ride safe....:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts