Raptor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CLIFF NOTES - Looking at buying a blown up '03 raptor to build a motor for. Whats a good moderate motor build?

LONG VERSION -
I have a '01 raptor that i play around on. Its bone stock and been ridden hard. It smokes a little, shocks are shot, steering is loose, etc etc. But it keeps running and shifting. I've been waiting for something major to go wrong, but it just wont quit running/shifting. I didn't want to modify it, as I figured right after I did, something major would go wrong.

I ran across a four wheeler the other day I was interested in for a parts bike. When I go to look at it, its an '03 that seems to be in pretty good shape. The guy let someone "take over payments" on it then ran it out of oil and quit making payments. Now he has it back. He said it "cranked slow and wouldnt' start" He took it to yamaha and they took it apart and said ~$3k to fix it. He declined repairs. Now the top of the motor is off the bike and in pieces. I'm really thinking about buying it, building it, and selling my bike while it still runs.

So any ideas what it would cost to get the thing running again. I realize thats a pretty vague question without knowing exactly what was wrong with it. I kept asking him and he just kept saying the shop said the top end needed to be rebuilt. If the tranny is ok/etc I"d like to build a mild/medium motor and have a fun four wheeler to ride.

I'm looking for a moderate trail/sand ride. I'm really content with my stock raptor untill I get to the sand (which we dont have too much around here). Its ok there, just doesn't run out like the banshee's, 450's, 700's, etc. Any proven formula's for moderate/mild builds? What should I look for in his box of parts that will tell me if anything major is toast?

I'm building a parts list right now. Wiseco piston 11:1 - stock or .20" depending on the condition of the cylinder walls. Hot Cams Stage 1 cam, Athena Complete gasket kit, My biggest delima is what needles/jets for the carbs. Should I replace the springs? I have no clue if the crank is ok or not, if it isn't I dont know if I"ll go for a stroker or not. I also haven't figured out an exhaust yet. I'm waiting to see how much this costs me in engine parts.

I put reliability and durability above performance. I prefer to use my toys instead of work on them. Any formula's for motor builds, as well as places to buy all the parts. If I get the four wheeler for the right price, I might just buy a kit if one exists. If I pay more than I want, I'll have to part the pieces to get good deals.

This post got long fast. I'll quit rambling now.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
gobeer net said:
This post got long fast. I'll quit rambling now.
Yep, towards the end I just scanned it, don't know if there's anything relavant there or not. :grin_nod:

As for the topend needing a rebuild, the worst case would be buying a head and rocker cover, since it was ran out of oil the bearings there could be toast. The cam bearing should be smooth.
I believe the price from yamaha is $600 for the head and rocker cover.

If the head is off and the quad is outside you'll want to pull the drain plug and see if any water comes out, if so you can be certain the bearings, gears and crank have rust.

Whats the price? Or is that part of what I skiped?

If the price is right you might be able to put your motor in it and sell the cases, provided thier intact. Build one descent quad from both and parts the rest?

Went thru mine over the winter, basically saved the cases, price was $1700 or so.

I'm approaching your post length so I'll stop. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
CoalShedRacing will be one of your best sources for info on this. It really depends on the cost of the 03 (including rebuild) vs. the cost to upgrade your 01. CSR can hook you up in either case.

Exhaust? Go with LTE (in-frame) or Barker (out of frame) duals.

If i were you i would upgrade to a 720 or 686 engine.

Jetting... take it to a dyno, if you cant get it right. It's really not hard to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts