Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im looking at buying another Raptor 660.

Its a 02 Raptor 660 R from a 2nd owner who rode the piss out of it, and it is pretty rough. He had flipped it and bent the steering column at the steering bearing to where there is no gap between the handlebars and gas tank. One of the lower A-arms is dented in but not bent. Engine seems to turn over smoothly, but does not fire due to no spark. Im fairly certain the coil is bad. When the bike is in neutral and the engine is turned over, the entire quad lurches slightly. To top it all off the thing looks like its never been cleaned. Has a completely rebuilt rear end as well.

Im sorta new to riding and working on a 660, I have had one for 3 years now. I was hoping to have some input on what to look for with the motor and tranny since I have yet to hear it run let alone drive it, to know if they are junk or not.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I guess I have to ask first of all, what is this guy asking for his bike that he seems to have taken such poor care of? Personally, I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for that bike. I know other people may have a different opinion on it, but that's just me. There will be a couple people that should be able to give you a pretty good idea as to what the problem is with that bike motor-wise, based on those symptoms. I'm not one of them unfortunately, not enough experience, so I defer.

On the other hand, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like from your post that you've owned your current Raptor for 3 years and haven't done any work on it. Does that include any basic maintenance work? Oil changes? Coolant? Brakes? Anything?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are dead on with the guy not taking care of the quad by any means. He and I agreed on 700, he origionally wanted 1000 for it. My current Raptor is a 01 660 and I have done some minor work on it. I have rebuilt the entire rear and, cleaning the carrier and what not and I have also torn my front end apart to check bearings and and put fresh grease in. I know enough to maintain my own bike and do regular work on it.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Okay, and again, I wasn't trying to start anything. I'd just hate to hear that the bike went 3 years without so much as an oil change or the like.

It might be worth it to hear what the opinions are of some of the others before you make a decision on this one, you might pay $700 for this thing and then end up putting a whole lot more into it just to make it run if it's something big wrong with it. I'd hate to see that happen.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I picked up a non runner a few weeks ago after a guys buddy rebuilt it. He knew nothing about it and picked it up needing engine work and his "friend" said he could rebuild it. I ended up giving $1000 for it because I wanted it lol and they go fast even at that price not running. He said it wouldn't turn over at all. They had never got it running after the rebuild. Pulled it apart and found thet they only put one bolt in the cam sprocket and it pivoted on that one bolt and hit the valve cover and locked it up. The cam journals on the end were also junk. Put a different head on and found a slipping 2nd gear. Had a Brand New weisco piston in it though with a few bolt on goodies and good tires and the blue frame(I dig it)

Point of the story is unless you are 100% sure of the problem it could get expensive fast. I got lucky and had a head and should have enough tranny parts to make one good one out of but if I HAD to have a head it would cost a lot. Most heads go for 250-400 and trans can be 200-400+Gaskets and Misc Lock washers and TIME. Not trying to scare ya but just pointing it out.

On a side not it now has a Ported head, Barker 14:1 Piston, HD crank, Frankenstein Trans(I hope) but I still need a exhaust(Anyone have one).

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Lol Zach what exhaust are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Lol probably so. Then again, they'll never see it comin! Lol.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Lol probably so. Then again, they'll never see it comin! Lol.
Yeah you would never see it coming but the stock pipe is so restricted. I figure I'll snag a cheap one and look for a set of duals that I can get a good price on.

Now that we have Hijacked this have you looked anymore Diehard? Are you gonna get it? At $700 I would with it turning over and all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea im pretty set on buying the 660, I have about 600 in parts already I have been collecting over the past few months for super cheap. I could easily clean it up and give this thing some tlc and re-sell it if I wanted to. All I am really concernd with is the engine and the tranny and how to feel them out to know if they are any good. Know of any simple tests I can do on them?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Make sure its a 02 and not a 01. Easiest way is to look for the remote rear res. on and square sub frame. or 10th digit of the vin. they have the tranny issues. I don't know of any other tricks but just looking it over good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill definitly be sure to check that vin number. If there is a 10th digit, it is a 2002? or the 10th digit number will be like a 2 and that means its a 2002? As for the remote rear res, Im going to assume you mean the coolant res haha.

Ive been reading up on 01-02 tranny problems and I have seen people saying the 01 is real notorious with 2nd gear problems.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
The 10th digit will tell you what year it is. And the remote rear res that he was referring to was the rear shock. On the '01, the rear shock had the res that mounted to the left side of the frame of the bike, in '02+ they went to a res mounted right on the shock. Not the coolant res, lol.

And yes, the '01 is the year that typically had the 2nd gear issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts