Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states im looking to purchase a used 660 in my area (or 700 if i find one cheap :)) and am new to the Raptor. I have owned a 300ex for the past 4 years since new, but have never bought a used quad before, especially one of this caliper. What things should I look for besides the usual visual defects like do the brakes work, clutch slip etc.? I am looking at two 2002's (one bone stock and one with an intake, exhaust and bald rear tires because the kid did burnouts) a 2003 (intake and exhaust), and a 2005, the 2005 has 2k dollars in up grades and is about $500 more then the others. Im selling my 300 and hoping to get about 2500 for it and cant spend much more then that. Anyway, and tips would be greatly appreciated thanks guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
639 Posts
needa700R said:
(one bone stock and one with an intake, exhaust and bald rear tires because the kid did burnouts)
well you just pointed out something that you dont want. burnouts are hard on engines and transmissions and clutches and basically everything else

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The raptor carrier isn't of the best design. A visual inspection and a few tugs of the axle will tell you if the carrier is good or not. Aftermarket swingarms use the honda style carriers which are much easier to adjust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pewterpecker said:
The raptor carrier isn't of the best design. A visual inspection and a few tugs of the axle will tell you if the carrier is good or not. Aftermarket swingarms use the honda style carriers which are much easier to adjust.
what is the carrier? and a few tugs on the axel to look for movement? and where do i look for movement?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The bearing carrier, it's the big thing on the end of the swingarm that the axle passes through. There should be no movement whatsoever from the axle, just rotation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so were those the the know problems or are there any more? Also what kind of maintance am I lookign at when i get one of these thigns. im talking right off the batt what should i do?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That's about it besides the normal things you should be looking at.

As for maintenance, I would flush all fluids, new plug, give everything a good once through, grease, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok sweet, ill do everything brake fluid and clean fuel filter and screen or w/e is there, how much is that new carrier if by some chance I break mine. im talking the one you said is better to put on it, the honda one?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you have a stock swing arm, you're going to have to get a new oem carrier. You get the honda carrier when you buy an aftermarket swingarm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh, so if i break that carrier shoudl i replace with stock or shoudl i go for an aftermarket swing arm and carrier? Also how much would that be if i went aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That all depends on how much money you have laying aroung. Check the net for prices on 660 oem carriers, and then check our site sponsors for pricing on swing arms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok sweet, looks like if i break it thats when ill make my decision those aftermarket ones are expensive, but boy do they look nice :grin_nod: Is there anyway to take car of it as to maybe not break it like, no poping the clutch on asphalt etc, or any meathods to make it last longer?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts