Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up a new '07 Raptor by the end of May. My son and I mostly ride trail, race through the desert, and we go to the dunes a few times a year. On occassion, I will take small jumps, 4 - 6 feet. My question is, will the shocks on SE model handle someone who is 265 pounds? Is there enough adjustment in the shocks to properly adjust for the weight and still have a comfortable ride without bottoming out going through woops, small jumps or racing through the desert?

OR

Would I be better off buying the standard model and get shocks from Elka or TCS that are built for my weight and riding style?

The cost difference between the SE models and the standard models is about $400 - $500 here in Arizona. I know I would need another $300 - $500 on top of that to pickup a set of Elka or TCS shocks.

Just looking for some feedback before I spend the money on my next quad.

-Johnny

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
I have the SE and I love the shocks but I did have to have the rear shock rebuilt for my weight (280) for about 300 bucks. I love the adjustments that the SE shocks have and I would have ended up spending much more if I wanted to go with the stock and elkas.

What is the SE going for out there? I know here in socal you can get it for about 7000 out the door.

·
Registered
410 Posts
socalrappy700 said:
I have the SE and I love the shocks but I did have to have the rear shock rebuilt for my weight (280) for about 300 bucks. I love the adjustments that the SE shocks have and I would have ended up spending much more if I wanted to go with the stock and elkas.

What is the SE going for out there? I know here in socal you can get it for about 7000 out the door.
yep SE or GYTR all the way.....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
socalrappy700 said:
Same price - $ 7000 OTD

-Johnny

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, since the weight rating on the quad says something like 225 lbs max. Well, I'm 245, take jumps and like to ride whoops in fourth gear, and mine have held up, granted I only have 4 weekends on it, but it rides like a caddy. I'll probably have to get the rear rebulit after next season.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Duane said:
I was thinking the same thing, since the weight rating on the quad says something like 225 lbs max. Well, I'm 245, take jumps and like to ride whoops in fourth gear, and mine have held up, granted I only have 4 weekends on it, but it rides like a caddy. I'll probably have to get the rear rebulit after next season.
You'll love the difference when the shock is set up for your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I personally would buy a standard and spend the other 300 or so over the SE price on aftermarket shocks. They will be dialed in for you and that makes all the difference.

By the way, how are things Johnny?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The more thinking that I'm doing, I am starting to lean towards the stock Raptor vs the Raptor SE and save the money to buy either the Elka or TCS shocks that are designed for my style of riding and more importantly my weight.

DECISIONS... DECISIONS... DECISIONS...

-Johnny

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
JOHNNY BAJA said:
The more thinking that I'm doing, I am starting to lean towards the stock Raptor vs the Raptor SE and save the money to buy either the Elka or TCS shocks that are designed for my style of riding and more importantly my weight.

DECISIONS... DECISIONS... DECISIONS...

-Johnny
Thats why I bought the plain blue basic Raptor, I've been riding long enough to know exactly how I want it setup.....Suspension is everything brother !! All the motor in the world is nothing if your suspension is holding you back..... :confused:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Mike said:
Thats why I bought the plain blue basic Raptor, I've been riding long enough to know exactly how I want it setup.....Suspension is everything brother !! All the motor in the world is nothing if your suspension is holding you back..... :confused:
I hear ya Mike, I did the full suspension upgrade on my '05 Raptor - +2 Epic A-Arms, YFZ450 Shocks, +4 rear axle etc. What a difference it made when racing through the desert with my son.

-Johnny

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
JOHNNY BAJA said:
Big Mike said:
I hear ya Mike, I did the full suspension upgrade on my '05 Raptor - +2 Epic A-Arms, YFZ450 Shocks, +4 rear axle etc. What a difference it made when racing through the desert with my son.

-Johnny

Damn thats a sweet ride !! :thumbsup:

When I bought the 'Bansh new in 99 I did pipes, jetting, cool head, porting, and open airbox first...Know what ?? I couldn't ride any faster with all those goodies because the suspension was holding me back !! Added a Works suspension and suddenly I found some hidden speed..... :grin_nod:

·
Registered
84 Posts
JOHNNY BAJA said:
socalrappy700 said:
Same price - $ 7000 OTD

-Johnny
dam 8800 OTD for my 07 SE i got it back in Feb :(

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got 18 hours on my Raptor, none SE and am very happy with the stock shocks and I am 260 ton, dry :lol:
Ain't no frickin' way will I go out and spend 800 smacks on new shocks and for what, something that I might not notice. ::)
Dude, get the standard Raptor and see how you like it and if you don't then go from there.
I think peeps on this site just like to spend money, knowing that it may not make a differance what so ever.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would think the 300 bucks for the SE would be a good idea, can't you have the rear shock worked for a couplpe hundred bucks, a ELKA or TCS rear is gonna be 600-700 bucks. Plus can't you have the fronts done also for less than new ressie shocks. If I ever go the aftermarket route the Rappy SE shocks will just get rebuilt and put on my sons 300ex :grin_nod:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Markcuda said:
I got 18 hours on my Raptor, none SE and am very happy with the stock shocks and I am 260 ton, dry :lol:
Ain't no frickin' way will I go out and spend 800 smacks on new shocks and for what, something that I might not notice. ::)
Dude, get the standard Raptor and see how you like it and if you don't then go from there.
I think peeps on this site just like to spend money, knowing that it may not make a differance what so ever.
Trust me, aftermarket shocks do make a difference........of course if your slow you prolly won't notice, so you may have a point.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Only you know how you ride...it sounds like you have your mind made up already (seeming to choose stock over SE). Personally, on the dunes, my "stock" suspension 06 does very well, granted I am not as heavy as you but, my buddy just bought a new 07SE and I could not tell the difference between the two, suspension wise. My advice is to do what you want to do and buy what you want to buy. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts