Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this thing scares the shit out of me. just yesterday i came to the realization that i'm probably going to get really hurt on my raptor. i used to own a polaris trailblazer 250 and i thought it was the shit, well i was only 12 when i got that thing and i just sold it 3 years ago. i'm only 19 now and i bought a 700R, so basically a night and day difference in power, speed, ect. the reason i say i'm pretty sure i'm going to get hurt is because i have already wrecked it going down a hill (damn snow pile flipped it) and just yesterday i was hauling ass through a bean field (i used to always ride in with my old quad) well there is a water way in this field. i was thinking about it the whole time. then oh, holy shit here it comes. i stomp on the front brake and grab a hand full of front brake and just stopped it at the edge of the water way. if i had lauched acrossed it i would probably be not to well off right about now.

i just was wondering if anyone else was slightly scared when they first rode their raptor? i realize alot of the people on here had high speed qauds before their rappy but, the first time out on a speedy quad did that scare anyone?

like i said call me a wuss i really don't care.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
I wouldn't call you a wuss at all. You're just being smart with your quad and respecting it. Once you loose the fear or respect you're done. Take your time with the raptor while you get to learn the way it handles and you'll be fine. Just always ride smart and respect that raptor! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
644 Posts
+2. the only thing to fear is fearlessness. I have the scars to prove it :p

Just remember the 700 is inherently no more dangerous than your old 250; however, it will get you into trouble a WHOLE lot faster!!!!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Like they said before. Take your time to learn your limits on the 700. Also learn what the 700 is capable of doing. Get your self some protective gear if you don't already have. Boots, gloves chest protecter just to protect yourself.I just got my 700 a couple of weeks ago after not having a quad for a long time and I have scard the shit out myself a few times already. Just take time and you will grow to harness the power of the almighty 700.
Ride hard, but ride smart. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Im only 15 and have a rappy it took me awhile to get used to it but not to long because i had a ds650 before that that i bought for 500 and sold for 3000.

·
Registered
824 Posts
i love the adrenalin (sp?) rush when it comes to anything like that. the rappy has only scared me once so far,

that was when i was at this place they call the gravel pits, and i was comming up the hill to go in there and i figured i would just jump it, well when i jumped it the front picked up to far and i landed on the back wheels, wasnt expecting that :lol:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I used to have a Banshee 12 yrs ago and when i bought this it scared the crap out of me. You will learn to control its power the more you ride it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah you guys are right about just taking my time getting used to it. my friends are all telling me ride a wheelie, jump this jump that. they used to do that stuff on a quad that wasn't theres but the actual(sp) owner of it wouldn't jump big or wheelie big. i guess it's alot different if it is your quad and not someone elses too.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
I went from an 86' Honda ATC-200 too the 700.. You have to respect the ride for SURE!! First hour of the first day I owned the beast I flipped it coming up a hill, I have a pic.. let me dig around and see if I can find it.. we were taking photos as me and a friend both got wheelers the same day.,.. he got an 06' 400ex. and rappy 700 here... and our other friend was going picture crazy..

(note: you are not a wuss)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You might consider turning in the speed limiter adjusting screw a bit. Doing so will keep the throttle from fully opening and reduce the maximum speed available on the quad. As you get more familiar with your quad you can turn the adjusting screw back out.

These things are fast and potentially dangerous - as most anything is - making the trick to ride within your experience level. Looks like you've already got that figured out, putting you ahead of the game. :thumbsup:

Ride on.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The bottom line is... Do Not Ride Over Your Head!! You'll just hurt yourself or someone else. Take your time, no need to hurry, and have fun.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It only goes as fast as YOU make it go. And for god sakes wear all your gear, this doesnt mean just a helmet and gloves either. I cant for the life of me understand why people dont wear more gear and proper stuff at that. Do yourself a favor and get a neck brace, its the most common cause of fatlities on quads(broken necks). A friend of mine lost his life this past weds. by landing nose first after a big jump and breaking his neck after headplanting in the dirt.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
BigGixxerJim said:
+2. the only thing to fear is fearlessness. I have the scars to prove it :p

Just remember the 700 is inherently no more dangerous than your old 250; however, it will get you into trouble a WHOLE lot faster!!!!
+1

Well said.......Your reaction time is being reduced as your speed increases..

Take your time and teach yourself to go faster on the Raptor if thats what you want.......The nice thing about the Raptor is it can be ridden slow if thats what you want, unlike the Banshee's that a lot of us are coming off of that are balls to the wall or nothing.. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
or you could do what i did, rode a raptor700, thought the same thing as you, decided that i woudl rather get something smaller lol...i ended up buying a ltz250(big jump i know lol) and now i wish i had the raptor because all my friends have 450s and i cant keep up on longer open trails...i ride the hell out of z250 and its actually got some spunk, but it damn sure isnt a raptor lol. Keep the 700 and just take your time man, i suggest, you ride by yourself to get used to it lol, i know when i ride with my friends i find myself jumping things i would NEVER look twice at by myself haha, funny how that works? OR i will put some cash in with my atv and trade you! hahahaha..but i think if you downgraded you would become disapointed pretty quick..good luck man, always wear your helmet! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Headrope said:
You might consider turning in the speed limiter adjusting screw a bit. Doing so will keep the throttle from fully opening and reduce the maximum speed available on the quad. As you get more familiar with your quad you can turn the adjusting screw back out.

These things are fast and potentially dangerous - as most anything is - making the trick to ride within your experience level. Looks like you've already got that figured out, putting you ahead of the game. :thumbsup:

Ride on.

what he said

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
I went from a '86 ATC350X(bad boy thumper of 20 years ago) to my '06 YFM700R(mega bad boy of today), both will get ya into a heap of trouble real fast but the 700R is alot more forgiving, 3 to 4 wheels being besides the point. Better engineering and geometry/technology being the key element. Its just being diciplined enough to gradually live and learn with powerful machines.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts