Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some damage to your cam journals and small end of your rod. The rod damage is common due to lack of lube to the pin. Likewise, your cam journls can be damaged due to lack of lube or debris in your oil. A machine shop can resleve a new bushing in the rod. Its cost prohibative however. A new rod or rod /crank assembly would be perferable. Your cam journals- thats a problem. Anything can be done in a good machine shop. All you need is LOTS OF MONEY. Check e-bay for a used head. Coast is between $200- $400. Beware!!! Lots of those heads are spent. You might try our "Parts for sale" section. Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cam bearings

is there any tips or tricks that people are doing to stop the cam journals from gauling or the piston pin seems like every bike i have worked on has the same problem

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
is there any tips or tricks that people are doing to stop the cam journals from gauling or the piston pin seems like every bike i have worked on has the same problem
Make sure the oil pump screen stays free of debree so it doesnt starve the head of oil. I use a low viscosity oil. If you have the cash a 5w50 oil will help a lot during cold startups and not thin out when warm. Bel Ray use to make a 0w40 but it was expensive. I dont know if they make it any more.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have never had any problem with the cam journals, but piston pins is a different story.............therefore I created my oil mod...............and no more galling..............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts