Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing the cam chain on my 05 660, have the new chain in,have the crank and cam on all timing marks, and I cannot get the cam chain tensioner bolted on. The spring and center bolt is out of it, and I can't get the housing of the tensioner to come close to being able to bolt up before the chain comes tight. The plunger is also reset all the way back in it, the chain is seated fine on both sprockets, and the chain guides are both in the right position. Anyone else have this problem? The old chain was not a whole lot shorter than the new one and it was 4 clicks on the tensioner from being all the way out when I took it put. I'm stumped, does the valve cover hold the cam down tighter into the journals? The cam seems to be sitting all the way down, I need to get slack in the new chain somehow to get that tensioner bolted back on.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I'm in the middle of replacing the cam chain on my 05 660, have the new chain in,have the crank and cam on all timing marks, and I cannot get the cam chain tensioner bolted on. The spring and center bolt is out of it, and I can't get the housing of the tensioner to come close to being able to bolt up before the chain comes tight. The plunger is also reset all the way back in it, the chain is seated fine on both sprockets, and the chain guides are both in the right position. Anyone else have this problem? The old chain was not a whole lot shorter than the new one and it was 4 clicks on the tensioner from being all the way out when I took it put. I'm stumped, does the valve cover hold the cam down tighter into the journals? The cam seems to be sitting all the way down, I need to get slack in the new chain somehow to get that tensioner bolted back on.
Go back and check that it isnt bunched somewhere, it should go in no problem, it sounds like you got all the steps down pat though, look again...........

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Take out the cam guide and make sure its on the sprocket on the crank. Might have to use you ratchet and turn it over a couple times while you hold the chain tight with your other hand. I had the same problem and mine was messed up under the bottom sprocket were i couldnt see it.=)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i still have the flywheel off so i know its on the sprocket good, and with a flash light i could look down from the top and i have turned the motor over several times so there are no kinks in the chain. chain guides are both in the correct position too

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yeah i still have the flywheel off so i know its on the sprocket good, and with a flash light i could look down from the top and i have turned the motor over several times so there are no kinks in the chain. chain guides are both in the correct position too
Recheck the tensioner to make sure it all the way in. Get a measurement of it's minimal length and I will compare with a couple I have here. .........

55mm. Minimal length with no bolt and washer and plunger all the retracted..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah mine is the same length. I took it to a local mechanic and he said everything looked fine. He tought it was abnormal though, both chains have the same amount of links too. And I double cheaked the part number. So if I press hard enough on the tensioner I can probably get the bolts for the housing started even though there is quite a bit of tension hopefully the chain will stretch a little and find its spot shortly after I get in all back together start it. I don't know what else to do other then put the old chain back in......

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yeah mine is the same length. I took it to a local mechanic and he said everything looked fine. He tought it was abnormal though, both chains have the same amount of links too. And I double cheaked the part number. So if I press hard enough on the tensioner I can probably get the bolts for the housing started even though there is quite a bit of tension hopefully the chain will stretch a little and find its spot shortly after I get in all back together start it. I don't know what else to do other then put the old chain back in......
I wouldnt do that, you really dont want to burn out the cam journals...........pull out the cam chain sliders and see if it is any better.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front slider is in both slots and the one that the tensioner pushes on is bolted on the bottom like it should,the top obviously just floats there. but I did notice not pushing it into the chain, the chain does go around it a bit at the top of the slide when you look down from the top with a flashlight... I don't like the idea of all that stress on everything if I put it together like that but I am running out of patience when everything looks fine except for that tensioner going in hard....

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The front slider is in both slots and the one that the tensioner pushes on is bolted on the bottom like it should,the top obviously just floats there. but I did notice not pushing it into the chain, the chain does go around it a bit at the top of the slide when you look down from the top with a flashlight... I don't like the idea of all that stress on everything if I put it together like that but I am running out of patience when everything looks fine except for that tensioner going in hard....
How about putting up a bunch of pictures so we can see how it looks.........:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's about all I have for pictures, that's without the tensioner in. When i set it in the slot for it, it sits about a half inch from the case when it hits the chain, and like I say if I press hard enough I can probably get the bolts started for it.

Attachments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
That's about all I have for pictures, that's without the tensioner in. When i set it in the slot for it, it sits about a half inch from the case when it hits the chain, and like I say if I press hard enough I can probably get the bolts started for it.
Just thought of this, the chain tensioner can be installed 180 degrees off but wont bolt up, give me untill tonight since I am working on a 660 presently and will check for chain length and see if anything crazy can cause your problem...........PM me if I forget.............:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put it all together...the motor spun freely with it in...the engine is super quite now...that's what was the problem, and the valves were out a little bit. Should I pull the tensioner after a ride and see if there is still a lot of tension on it you think?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I put it all together...the motor spun freely with it in...the engine is super quite now...that's what was the problem, and the valves were out a little bit. Should I pull the tensioner after a ride and see if there is still a lot of tension on it you think?
Negative.............

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
if i remember right on my build, it went right in with no problems....you have an issue somewhere. I wouldn't run it, like said before thats putting a lot of pressure on them cam journals, which score very easily. THen you will be in for a new head!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the pictures being sideways, im not quite sure how to rotate them, I'm using a cell phone for all of this...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts