Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to do a cam and piston but cant decide on which cam. It seems while looking that the better choice is to not go with the hotcam but something better, such as the HDD 50/50, the barker cam, or the web. How much more work is involved in getting a better cam that isnt a drop in like the hotcam. Also, I have looked for a write up on how to adjust the valves on my raptor 700 but cannot find one. If anyone could link it, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It would really help if we knew:
1) what your current mods are
2) what future mods or hp/tq you'd like to get to
3) what riding do you like to do
4) where in the rpm range do you like to run the engine
5) your budget

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Right now I have the basic Big 3. Barker Big bores, PCV, and K&N Trinity Intake.
2. eventually I'd like to have a cam, cp tech 11.5:1, port/polish, +2 TB.
3. Mostly duning, desert, and occasional racing.
4. just looking for best overall power throughout, right now the top end lacks. Would like good power mid to top most.
5. Budget is pretty open to anything but would like the best bang for my buck while not getting too crazy in price or losing reliability in the motor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
To get the most out of your pump gas build the cams you listed will work and the head will be clearanced for those higher lift cams when you get it ported... the 5050 and X4 cam will be the quickest revving cam with tons of power from bottom to top. With 11.5 to 1 compression the other cams may make more top end horsepower depending on the port you go with but wont give you the powerband like the 5050 or an X4 cam will for all around riding... HC3 will be the most reliable way to go with minimal maitenance and still provide decent power. On a mild build only 2-4 hp difference. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
555 Posts
1. Right now I have the basic Big 3. Barker Big bores, PCV, and K&N Trinity Intake.
2. eventually I'd like to have a cam, cp tech 11.5:1, port/polish, +2 TB.
3. Mostly duning, desert, and occasional racing.
4. just looking for best overall power throughout, right now the top end lacks. Would like good power mid to top most.
5. Budget is pretty open to anything but would like the best bang for my buck while not getting too crazy in price or losing reliability in the motor.
Alright, now we have something to work with.

If you want to remain on pump fuel then the TQS 11.5 piston is the premier choice.
If you're looking for more top end power and constantly ride in the higher rpm range then the HC3 is for you. The HC series are the most economical, considered a "drop in", and won't need heavier valve springs. FYI, the HC2 will give additional power from the lower rpms thru the midrange and still perform better than stock up top. The HC3 makes less power low/mid but outperforms the HC2 above aprox 6k rpm.
Next would be to get a +3 TB.
Down the road you can upgrade the head with some quality port and valve seat work, +1 valves and HD springs. This will allow for a more agressive cam with greater lift, duration and lobe shape. Many choices available here: Mega Cycle X2 or X4, Web4, HDD5050 to name just a few.
After that you'll probably want to upgrade the intake and get an adjustable ignition module.
Hope that helps.

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
I've been in the same position. Considering the same mods. I have the same set up as you except I have a Programable ignition, and an FCI intake. I will be getting the port and polish, 11.5:1 piston, and a cam. I was set on HC3, the HDD 5050 makes more power than the Web 4, but requires some cutting and adjusting the rocker arms on your valve train. I didn't want to risk cutting and movnig the rocker arms. I dont mind changing springs to heavier duty, and like I said, it is getting a port and polish. But I decided against it. Simply for the reason of not wanting my rocker arms cut. That and I didn't want to over do the power for my kind of riding on a +2 swinger. So I had pretty much decided on a HC3.

Today, I logged onto TQS to find a Barker Intermediate cam. It says it shows gains over a Web 4, and 5 HP over an X2. But it requires a heavy duty spring kit. Anyone have any experience with this cam???? I am feeling drawn towards it... I need to know the facts of it before I chose between HC3, and barker....

·
Registered
555 Posts
the HDD 5050 makes way more power than the Web 4, but requires some cutting and adjusting the the rocker arms on your valve train.

I didn't want to risk any of that work. SO I decided against it. That and I didn't want to over do the power for my kind of riding on a +2 swinger. So I had pretty much decided on a HC3.

Today, I logged onto TQS to find a Barker Intermediate cam. It says it shows gains over a Web 4, and 5 HP over an X2. But it requires a heavy duty spring kit. Anyone have any experience with this cam???? I am feeling drawn towards it... I need to know the facts of it before I chose between HC3, and barker....
I wouldn't exactly say that "the HDD 5050 makes way more power than the Web 4". There are several dyno graphs that show either cam making good power. The Web4 tends to have stronger top end, while the 5050 is designed for killer low/mid with a good over rev. Both cams need HD springs and clearanced rockers. Stock porting will limit the true potential of these cams.

Perhaps it's just me but I'm confused. In your upper paragraph you "decided against it" (bigger cams) because you didn't want to "risk any of that work", and have "pretty much decided on a HC3". Yet while the Barker cam is also considered a big cam, requires HD springs, rocker clearance and porting to work properly, you're mysteriously "feeling drawn towards it". With your current mods, stick to the HC3, IMHO.

·
272 Posts
I wouldn't exactly say that "the HDD 5050 makes way more power than the Web 4". There are several dyno graphs that show either cam making good power. The Web4 tends to have stronger top end, while the 5050 is designed for killer low/mid with a good over rev. Both cams need HD springs and clearanced rockers. Stock porting will limit the true potential of these cams.

Perhaps it's just me but I'm confused. In your upper paragraph you "decided against it" (bigger cams) because you didn't want to "risk any of that work", and have "pretty much decided on a HC3". Yet while the Barker cam is also considered a big cam, requires HD springs, rocker clearance and porting to work properly, you're mysteriously "feeling drawn towards it". With your current mods, stick to the HC3, IMHO.
Does it indeed require rocker clearancing??? that's exactly what I need to know. I dont mind heavier duty springs, or doing the port and polish. I just dont want to risk my rockers being cut and re welded on at the wrong measurement. IDK, maybe I just worry to much. LOL. Just dont know how exact people can get with that, and how many problems it could cause down the road. I want great reliability. But I want great all around power too...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does it indeed require rocker clearancing??? that's exactly what I need to know. I dont mind heavier duty springs, or doing the port and polish. I just dont want to risk my rockers being cut and re welded on at the wrong measurement. IDK, maybe I just worry to much. LOL. Just dont know how exact people can get with that, and how many problems it could cause down the road. I want great reliability. But I want great all around power too...

Only the exhaust rocker gets modified and no welding is done...just grinding in the correct places to provide clearance for the cam lobes. Same for the head, a small amount of grinding where the cam enters the head to allow the slightly taller lobes to clear the bearing bore.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Only the exhaust rocker gets modified and no welding is done...just grinding in the correct places to provide clearance for the cam lobes. Same for the head, a small amount of grinding where the cam enters the head to allow the slightly taller lobes to clear the bearing bore.
+1 not cutting or welding just a little grinding
Btw I love my 5050 cam if I go drag I'll swap it out for the 5150 my head been cleared for it.

·
272 Posts
Well that doesn't sound like as bad of a modification as what a couple of others made it sound like. The barker then requires the same grinding as the 5050?

What kind of port and polish would you guys recommend for a person that rides dunes/trail, and the occaisional race between friends... Would the port and polish differ for the 5050 or the barker, or the HC3?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Well that doesn't sound like as bad of a modification as what a couple of others made it sound like. The barker then requires the same grinding as the 5050?

What kind of port and polish would you guys recommend for a person that rides dunes/trail, and the occaisional race between friends... Would the port and polish differ for the 5050 or the barker, or the HC3?
Mines a trail build on a stock swinger I love it in the woods plus I can lay down [email protected] thru the 300' drags I'm sure it'd go faster if set up just to drag but that was trail set up running 300'

·
272 Posts
OK, so after going back and forth and back and forth. I think I'm settling on a cam. But not the one I ever thought of. I'm looking at the Web 4. It produces more power than the HC3 and smooth all the way up the RPM range. But not quite as much as the 5050. I think this will help with my worry about front end being to happy going up hills. But, it produces a couple more horsepower than the 5050 up top, and its definately more than the HC3 up there. Only problem is I can't seem to find it for sale??? I found it on Ebay, but the guy wants a core charge of almost $200? really, a core charge for a cam??? Anyone know where I can pick these up at a good price???

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
OK, so after going back and forth and back and forth. I think I'm settling on a cam. But not the one I ever thought of. I'm looking at the Web 4. It produces more power than the HC3 and smooth all the way up the RPM range. But not quite as much as the 5050. I think this will help with my worry about front end being to happy going up hills. But, it produces a couple more horsepower than the 5050 up top, and its definately more than the HC3 up there. Only problem is I can't seem to find it for sale??? I found it on Ebay, but the guy wants a core charge of almost $200? really, a core charge for a cam??? Anyone know where I can pick these up at a good price???
TQS or HDD both should have em ready to ship brand new no core around 300

·
272 Posts
Sweet, I emailed Steve this morning. He's only about an hour away from me. He didn't list them on his site any more.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Sweet, I emailed Steve this morning. He's only about an hour away from me. He didn't list them on his site any more.
Everything's not listed but I'm sure he's got unless discontinued it seems if that was the case we'd heard as they are a popular choice.

·
272 Posts
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I never really took a serious look at the web 4 until now. Just seems like it's going to work out best for my needs. I hope. LOL

·
272 Posts
When I get this cam put in, I'm also having a port and polish, new HD springs, a +3TB, and a TQS 11.5:1 piston put in. Am I going to need to re-break in my motor? take it easy on the throttle for a couple hundred miles to let the valves seat? Then is it going to need a valve adjustment? Just curious what I need to do when I get all of this done.

Honestly I just want to jump on and find out what it's got :) But if I shouldn't I need to know. LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts