Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the raptor used to have a ds.
I just picked up an 03 raptor and the top end was redone
last summer.He said it has aftermarket cams,but doesnt know
the type.How can i tell what type they are?And what would i set
the valves at for aftermarket?Thanks for any help.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
You can use stock valve settings for most cams... might not be ideal, but close enough.

To tell what cam, you'll have to remove the cam cover and find the markings on it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hi all new to the raptor used to have a ds.
I just picked up an 03 raptor and the top end was redone
last summer.He said it has aftermarket cams,but doesnt know
the type.How can i tell what type they are?And what would i set
the valves at for aftermarket?Thanks for any help.

Some aftermarket cams are stock cams welded and reground to a new profile, others are a complete new casting, should you have the valve cover off sometime, check the nose of the cam lobe, it id looks like it as a piece added to it thta is extremely shiny, it is a reground cam and certain companies make them, if it appears to be a stock cam, it could be a stock cam or a Hotcam, the same company thta makes Hotrod connecting rods...........
With setting the valve lash, I always liked going with the stock setting, or slightly tighter, one reason it is quieter, and I didnt mind setting valves often, it gives you a feel as to how the engine is wearing in the valve train area...........

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Hot cams are marked on the back side of the lobes. There is a number but it wont say stage 2 or what ever.

Megacycle cams (rewelded OEM Cam) are engraved on the end of the cam. (It will be behind the cam sprocket / decompression weights.) Some thing like "Mega Cycle 280-x4"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts