Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever ride with a camel back/back pack?

I was thinking about getting one to ride with but am concerned with the comfort and mobility of them. Any body have any opinions on this topic?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I have one, it's great. It's a smaller version with about a 1 liter pack and a small outer pocket for miscellaneous items. I throw my wallet, car keys and a cell phone in it. Maybe some basic tools. Haven't ridden with any of the larger packs, but it doesn't impede my riding or get in my way at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im in the army and they are wicked we use them all the time, water proof easy to clean well placed straps and tie downs and webbing to add on other smaller options if you buy them. And you dont honestly feel like you have it on

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
when im at the dunes i'll take my hydration pack. ive learned not to fill it all the way (1 gallon i think) as it tends to bounce more than to my liking.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
I use a 100oz reservoir in my backpack style camelback. I like it cause I can bring a few tools with me and documentation, store my keys/phone etc. I'd never go on a long trail ride without it haha.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Had one for a while.. Makes everything you put in it taste like rubber.. A few of my friends bought them as well and stopped using them pretty quick for the same reason. Definitely a good thing in the desert though, I'd rather have water that tastes like rubber than nothing :p

·
Registered
532 Posts
Love mine, makes long rides great.. It sucks to go all the way back to camp just for a drink...

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Had one for a while.. Makes everything you put in it taste like rubber.. A few of my friends bought them as well and stopped using them pretty quick for the same reason. Definitely a good thing in the desert though, I'd rather have water that tastes like rubber than nothing :p
Are you guys chewing on the bite valve? :lol: I don't have that taste on mine, it's about the same as drinking it out of the bottle unless I get a bunch of dust on the valve.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. For those of you who have used them for a while, is there any solution to the rubber taste? Not really feeling that.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Clean it out and only use water in it...I've had mine for about 2 years now and I don't have that taste. I flush mine out every couple of rides and camelback sells a cleaning kit that works good.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome. Think im gonna try one out. Looking at the mule mini, not too big looking but still has more storage than the super small ones and has a chest strap.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
The newer camel backs use a new material that doesn't give the plastic taste...I like to fill mine all the way up with ice first then water..it acts like an ac unit on my back @ the dunes...its great..have the blowfish..but im going to the mule..I like to carry tools and what not to get me back to camp if needed

·
Registered
214 Posts
Love mine, same as everyone else- water or gatorade and a few tools and wallet. Never had a rubber taste with mine and it doesn't quite keep beer cold enough!!

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
I have used a camel back for well over 10yrs now and I just will not ride without it.. I only put water in it and I clean it offten... Im now retired from the Army and I still train the Navy on how to shoot, move and communicate..

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I use mine everytime I go out. I have a Fox pack and it stays cool pretty good. Has mounts for your helmet and storage for phones and iPods and such!

Love it to bits.... ohh and its pretty low profile too.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Only issue I had was after riding all day it rubbed on my back, felt like sunburn. I wear a kidney belt now and never ride without it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i have a mule and love it ....get one and you wont regret it!
like said before water,tools,snacks,wallet. for tools i like the usual couple of wrenches, vise grips, roll of hockey tape and zap straps, spark plug.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's one of those things that once you use one you'll wonder how you ever rode without one. I've been using one for 10+ years. I use a backpack style camel back it comfortable and holds snacks, maps, keys, tools, etc.

Get one you won't be dissapointed, it's well worth the money!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't ride without mine...and very comfortable

1 - 20 of 30 Posts