Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into getting a camelbak but im not sure on which one. Id like to have a compartment for the video camera without getting one thats too big and thats going to be awkward to ride with/weigh to much. Im also not sure if i should get a 70oz. or 100oz. What kind do you have and are you happy with it. Later.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well being in the military, when we go to the desert they get issued to us. I use my camelbak for Mtn. Biking as well as ATV'ing. I wouldn't go any other way. Mine is a 3 liter, and the back pack that it comes in can hold my camera, car keys, cell phone and wallet. In case you are wondering, it's not heavy at all, hell most of the time I can't tell its on my back. I also coated the area that holds all that stuff in ScotchGaurd, and it has been a life saver when it starts pouring down rain or for river crossing that might splash up some water. I just don't recommend submerging the entire thing if you have your valuables in it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
It depends on your rides,
The 70 oz is great for me, I hardly know it's there ever. Also 2 liters is enough for most trips. If it was a all day trip 8+ hours of hard riding in hot and dry conditions with no other liquids (no 6pack rack with fluids) I would get the 100 oz.

I know guys that use the 70 oz filled with vodka & cran at glamis..... but I tend to ride FAR away form them!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I got the smaller one to, probly the same one Jeremy is talking about. Works great for me but we go back to fill up every couple hrs. If I was going to be gone all day I would probly get a bigger one. I found mine at BassPro for $15.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have been using them for BMX riding for years now. I love them. I have the 100oz and it works out pretty good for my riding that I do.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a OGIO 70oz pack that has decent rooms for digital camrea, cellphone, keys, and wallet. maybe some tools, fits good

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I had the small 1 or 1.5 liter unit, it leaked all over my back the second time I took it out. The seal itself wasn't great but it held. It was the bag/pouch itself that gave way for no apparent reason.

I'll be purchasing something different next time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah, probably not the greatest design, easy to clean though. My connnecting tube from the pack to the tube came loosed right b4 a race, so i had to connect it back quickly and luckily had enough extra to put some back in

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have the 70 oz, during hot day trips I will freeze mine the night before and for the most part it will keep ya cool for a good 3 to for hours!

·
Registered
213 Posts
other than freezing it or putting an ice pack in it, does it come with anyway to keep it cold? im about to go buy one this weekend, seems perfect for what im lookin for.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The backpak that they sit inside, aren't great insulators, but they don't do too bad of a job. But if you want it kept cold I suggest freezing it or filling it half full of ice, and the rest with water. You won't drink it all at once, so as you keep sipping on it, the ice will melt, keeping water in it and also still keeping it cool. This past summer when I was on the flightline, it was hitting triple digits all the time and I didn't give the camelbak enough time to melt all the ice b/c I was constantly drinking the water and also running into my shop and filling it up with ice between the jets taking off and landing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have used the 2 liter one now for about 3 years. I would not ride without it.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ive got the 70oz model as well. I love it. Holds enough water for a long ride on a hot day. Like others said, If you portion 1/2 ice and the rest water it will stay cool.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have the 2 liter Hydrapak and could not be happier, usually ride 4 to 6 hrs in trails and no weird taste and the water or gatorade has never gotten really hot enough to be nasty.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the smaller one and i love it. though the pouch i dont think is big enough to carry a camera it holds enough water for a good couple hr ride. lol...be careful though. try not to get mud on the reservior. nothing like mud in your mouth when you have cotton mouth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts