Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should it take to put these in. I have no choice but to take it to a local dealership. I think they might be trying to squeeze some cash out of me. One shop took a guess and said 10 hours! :eek: I know Im not going there. Couple others said 3-4 and one said 3-5 hours. I think I have read here before that it only should take about 2 hours? Is that right?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Probley is going to cost you 300-500 for the labor to remove head, cylinder, cam and piston. Intstall new piston and rings, re install cylinder, head and cam. If you need to replace your valve springs for a stage 2 cam it might even be more, but most shops should throw that in.

Different places are going to do more and charge more. Are you planing on them doing any re mapping or tuneing after this work is done? That alone can take hours? Are they cleaning the cylinder out at all? A quick hone or polish?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably get the stage 1 drop in hotcams. Doesnt require springs or anything else. I have to research but if the webcams stage 1 doesnt require springs I'll probably go with that one.

Mapping is going to be done by Tim Barker. Should I get a quick cylinder clean? I dont think I will have that done but maybe I should huh? since they are going in there.

300-500 dollars? How many hours would you say though just for the piston and just cams because different shops charge different hourly rates.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The project:

Dis-Assembly - Approx 1 hour
Remove plastic
Drian oil
Drain Coolant
Disconnect misc. wires that will be in the way
Disconnect / remove misc. vents that will be in the way
Disconnect throttle-body - drain fuel lines, etc.
Remove exhaust

Some guys will actually pull the engine as it is easier to work on it outside of the bike. I haven't worked on the 700 so, I don't know if the head can be pulled with the bike in the frame. If the engine needs to be removed:
Remove counter-sprocket to remove chain.
Remove engine motor-mounts and misc. mounts (Additional 30-minutes)

Now the engine:
Remove valve cover
Remove head-bolts
Remove cams
Remove head
Pull Cylinder
Remove old piston (that wrist-pin and circlip can be a 8itch!)
Above - approx. 1-hour

Installation:
(NOTE - I don't think you need to hone the cylinder - the bike can't be that old and the coating on the jug is tough as nails.)
Install new piston / wrist-pin and Circlip
Install new gaskets (Base Gasket)
Install and gap rings
Slide Piston into jug
Mount Jug on Cases
Clean surfaces
Mount Head-Gasket on Jug
Install head
Install cam
Adjust cam timing
Check Valve Clearances (lash)
Re-torque
Install valve cover.
Approx. 2-hours.

Re-install engine, lines, hoses, etc.
Approx. 1 hour.

This job would take me at least 5-hours.

I'd get a guy you trust more than anything. I've got a builder that will lap the valves and go through everything with a fine-tooth-comb. I'd rather pay a little more for that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
First of all shops have a certin price more then they do an hourly rate. They are not going to time the guy and charge you for that. But if he does run into a problem they will charge for the extra time. Most places that had online prices showed that its around 250 for upper head work labor and around 500 for lower bottom end work labor. Now you are not really going into the bottom end, but you are going past just doing head work. So im pretty sure its going to be more then 250 but under 500. probley 350-375 ish
I dont know what your horly rate is in your area, but they all are going to be a bit different, and you'll also find that the amount of hours to do it will all be a little different depending on who you ask.
Me doing it at home will take a probley a full day, with a few beer breaks. If i was in the shop with my tools and lifts and such, I probley could do the piston, oil change and stage one cam in around 2-2.5 hours. No remaping or tuning. The shop will charge atleast 5-6 tho. I usally find that the book or standard time to charge is almost double the actual time to do the job. That is also if you didnt have to stop and do other tasks during that time (which i find never happens in a shop). (well at home too. beer)

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Ice4me said:
I'll probably get the stage 1 drop in hotcams. Doesnt require springs or anything else. I have to research but if the webcams stage 1 doesnt require springs I'll probably go with that one.

Mapping is going to be done by Tim Barker. Should I get a quick cylinder clean? I dont think I will have that done but maybe I should huh? since they are going in there.

300-500 dollars? How many hours would you say though just for the piston and just cams because different shops charge different hourly rates.

If Barker is doing the mapping why don't you have him do the top end work as well?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was going to do a custom map (from what he told me) for his customers to have. With and without the mods I have for his new set of duals. I was going to use a laptop and do it myself once I get the map. I have no idea how but I was told that it is simple.

DuneMe said:
I'd get a guy you trust more than anything. I've got a builder that will lap the valves and go through everything with a fine-tooth-comb. I'd rather pay a little more for that.
Thats my only concern. I dont like dealing with the shops around here. NONE. They suck. I dont know of any good backyard that does it good except this one guy but he wouldnt do it for me and after thinking about it I probably wouldnt want to take it to him anyways unless he looks at me in a different way. He does great work though.

Thanks for your help though guys!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ice4me said:
after thinking about it I probably wouldnt want to take it to him anyways unless he looks at me in a different way.
Please dont go on any further with this.
I think 3-5 hours is right on. It shouldnt be any more thenb 5 and no shop should charge less then 3. So its all about who you feel good with doing the work. Personally i do my own. Thats the only way i know what was actually done to it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wont but it hurts me so bad for someone to think about me like that!!! .. :'( :'( :'( I guess no one cares about me :'(

I dont think I said anything out of the way though. Again thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.