Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear what your experiences are with different cams.
We have an 08 with a fat boy,pro flow and jetting.
I am planing to install a 12:1 piston and we need to pick out a cam.
We are running the stock carb and have no porting yet.
Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
From my experience, a 10.5:1 piston is kicking my starters butt, which is kicking my battery's butt. I originally wanted to go with a Stage II HotCAM, but the price for the Vitos piston/CAM/gasket set changed my mind. I would think a 11.0:1 would need better valve springs, any higher compression than that may need PNP too. IMO if you want to spend that much money, you may want to consider buying a YFZ450. I wish I would have just bought a bigger quad, but it's too late for me now, money is already spent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I do not think the 250 has a decomp in the head.
I think a 450 is a little much for us (a 13 and 43 tear old), we have fun running the little raptor for all it is worth. The suspension is complete (a arms, axle,shocks) so we can ride it aggresively. I dont want to go light and pull it apart later.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks for your input. I do not think the 250 has a decomp in the head.
I think a 450 is a little much for us (a 13 and 43 tear old), we have fun running the little raptor for all it is worth. The suspension is complete (a arms, axle,shocks) so we can ride it aggresively. I dont want to go light and pull it apart later.
we have raced for 3 years and the first 2 ran the vitos kit , i highly recomend this kit , we now run a wiesco cam and a 12:1 je with a 37mm carb and alot of head porting

·
Registered
252 Posts
we have raced for 3 years and the first 2 ran the vitos kit , i highly recomend this kit , we now run a wiesco cam and a 12:1 je with a 37mm carb and alot of head porting
When you ran the Vito's kit, did you notice a change in engine sound? I assume the higher comp piston requires higher octane. I also assume the more aggressive CAM will have an effect too on sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price of the vito's kit certainly makes it attractive. How much of an improvement did
it make? I may do porting and a carb later, so I would like to lay the ground work.
Would the 12:1 and Wiseco stand on its own?
Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The price of the vito's kit certainly makes it attractive. How much of an improvement did
it make? I may do porting and a carb later, so I would like to lay the ground work.
Would the 12:1 and Wiseco stand on its own?
Thanks!
I can't really say, I just rode mine easy for the 1st time to break it in. If you plan on porting, multi angle valve, replacing springs etc I would buy the 263cc/11:1 kit from WiseCo and have the cylinder bored. I think the 12:1 kit from WiseCo is a 300cc big-bore kit that will require a new cylinder.

·
Registered
836 Posts
300cc bore is an 11:1 piston.. i don't think wiseco offers a 12:1.. i think JE and someone else offers them, but not wiseco..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a lot of thought and research I have decided to go with the CP 11.1 and the vitos cam. This set up should give us good reliabilty and 2 to 3 more HP, hopefully.
The CP seems to leave us flexability to go with a big cam later.
The vitos cam is cheap and seems to be aggresive enough to make a good increase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The vitos cam arrived today, made in taiwan, oh well better than china I guess.
The cometic gasket kit came also, I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of pieces in the kit. We just need our piston to get started.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts