Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so I’m new to this forum and I started at like 6 on a trx90x then when I was 8 I had a rzr170 then at 11 I rode a trx250x just sold it a couple of days ago and I’ve been riding my grandfathers lt250r 1985 now for about a year we’ve had it forever but I just started driving it a year ago I mastered the clutch and everything and I fly on that thing it’s awesome! But now I’m wondering if I should use the money from my 250x to get a raptor am i to young? I handle the 250r like a champ if u guys do think I could ride one then let me know. I was thinking either yfz or 700 but I love the raptor so much more. I’m 14 5,5 and 110 I’m skinny lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 12 year old grandson rides mine, no problem. He is your height but about 30 lbs heavier. He would rather ride my sons 450. You might try both and see which one you like better. The 450 will fit just like the 2 strokes you are used to. I gave him the choice of my 07 Raptor or buying him a 450, he wants a 450.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 12 year old grandson rides mine, no problem. He is your height but about 30 lbs heavier. He would rather ride my sons 450. You might try both and see which one you like better. The 450 will fit just like the 2 strokes you are used to. I gave him the choice of my 07 Raptor or buying him a 450, he wants a 450.
That’s awesome to know man! Thank you guys so much!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,695 Posts
Any bike won't go faster then the throttle you give it. Do the 700's still have a "throttle stop screw"??
You can compare a 2 smoke to double it's motor size to a 4 stroke. So the 250R would be equivalent to about a 500.The 700 is more of a bigger bike then the YFZ450, requires less to maintain, and doesn't need high RPM's to make power.
I used to be skinny in my younger years. My father used to call me "bones". Not so much any more.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,695 Posts
Lol, thanks, I know just enough to get myself and everyone with me in trouble
Come on, I'll show you...
lmao!
I've been in trouble all my life, one more time ain't gunna hurt!!
Come on, I'll show you... ha....

·
Registered
30 Posts
i really depends on you, what is the type of riding you do, if your doing more trail riding in the woods, i think the raptor would be best, its narrower but you can also lug it down a lot more. But if you doing fast pace turns and racing id do the 450

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any bike won't go faster then the throttle you give it. Do the 700's still have a "throttle stop screw"??
You can compare a 2 smoke to double it's motor size to a 4 stroke. So the 250R would be equivalent to about a 500.The 700 is more of a bigger bike then the YFZ450, requires less to maintain, and doesn't need high RPM's to make power.
I used to be skinny in my younger years. My father used to call me "bones". Not so much any more.
Thank you so much man I’m really confident now! And that makes sense!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i really depends on you, what is the type of riding you do, if your doing more trail riding in the woods, i think the raptor would be best, its narrower but you can also lug it down a lot more. But if you doing fast pace turns and racing id do the 450
Honestly dude I haven’t rode either ever before but I guess I’m kinda like a raptor fanboy because I really think the raptors the best thing ever lmao I don’t know which one because I have trails in the woods that I ride on that are super wide but most of the time I fly up and down open 3 acres so idk I just want whichever one pulls harder like when u hit the throttle which one pulls hardest! I do know that the raptor would probably like to flip a lot but I’d just have to be careful! But yeah which one has more like pulling power when u hit the gas the yfz or raptor? I’d assume raptor since it has that bigger engine. But I know that 450s are fast af to just not sure which one gets off the line quicker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honestly dude I haven’t rode either ever before but I guess I’m kinda like a raptor fanboy because I really think the raptors the best thing ever lmao I don’t know which one because I have trails in the woods that I ride on that are super wide but most of the time I fly up and down open 3 acres so idk I just want whichever one pulls harder like when u hit the throttle which one pulls hardest! I do know that the raptor would probably like to flip a lot but I’d just have to be careful! But yeah which one has more like pulling power when u hit the gas the yfz or raptor? I’d assume raptor since it has that bigger engine. But I know that 450s are fast af to just not sure which one gets off the line quicker.
for the trail in the woods, id throw a set of wider A-arms and axel and just rip the rails up with the raptor, i think the raptor might pull harder due to the higher lower end torque, pulls even harder if you lower the front sprocket by 1 tooth, a little more acceleration and more usuable power in 2nd and third gear. thats what i run in the sand dunes

1 - 20 of 31 Posts