Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the Dillema. I have an 05 Raptor 660. As far as I know stock engine. I am running a K&N air filter with lid that has four 1 1/2" holes in the top evenly spaced. The snorkel removed. Clear tube mod and measured. Pro Circuit Type 496 Full exhaust.
I originally took the carbs off cause it didn't seem to have the power I thought it should. So I took em' all apart cleaned and realized the previous owner had placed the starter jet in the primary jet position and the primary jet in the starter jet position. I figured while I was in there that I would clean up the air box and remove snorkel. Now while doing trial and error I put in 160/165 main jets and 25 primary with needles on midddle clip setting. with this setup I found it would bog down on initial start and not seem to run very well throught the whole throttle range. So I dropped the needles to the fourth position and it got rid of the initial hesitation but there was still some so I taped the holes on the box and it got better. So then once again I dropped the clips to the fifth postion and it got even better.
The question is I get past the initial hesitation and than get up to speed and I seem to be faster in 3/4 throttle range than in WOT. So I am thinking that I need bigger jets but doesn't this seem a bit much for my setup to goto a 165/170 jets? I am also at 2.5 turns out on the air screws. I am thinking bring those out to 3 and see if that helps also. Just looking for some guidance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man im having the same problem on my bike. Same exhaust and same filter. Ive got mine jetted at 170/175 needle on 4th clip and it runs lean with the air box lid off so im stuck running with it installed. Whats your altitude?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so here is the Dillema. I have an 05 Raptor 660. As far as I know stock engine. I am running a K&N air filter with lid that has four 1 1/2" holes in the top evenly spaced. The snorkel removed. Clear tube mod and measured. Pro Circuit Type 496 Full exhaust.
I originally took the carbs off cause it didn't seem to have the power I thought it should. So I took em' all apart cleaned and realized the previous owner had placed the starter jet in the primary jet position and the primary jet in the starter jet position. I figured while I was in there that I would clean up the air box and remove snorkel. Now while doing trial and error I put in 160/165 main jets and 25 primary with needles on midddle clip setting. with this setup I found it would bog down on initial start and not seem to run very well throught the whole throttle range. So I dropped the needles to the fourth position and it got rid of the initial hesitation but there was still some so I taped the holes on the box and it got better. So then once again I dropped the clips to the fifth postion and it got even better.
The question is I get past the initial hesitation and than get up to speed and I seem to be faster in 3/4 throttle range than in WOT. So I am thinking that I need bigger jets but doesn't this seem a bit much for my setup to goto a 165/170 jets? I am also at 2.5 turns out on the air screws. I am thinking bring those out to 3 and see if that helps also. Just looking for some guidance.
Man im having the same problem on my bike. Same exhaust and same filter. Ive got mine jetted at 170/175 needle on 4th clip and it runs lean with the air box lid off so im stuck running with it installed. Whats your altitude?
What type of fuel are you guys using, any ethanol in it..............

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am at about 300, and I run at Pismo beach. so basically zero ASL.

As for fuel I am running the normal 87 octane no ethanol that I know of.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SO I just got back from messing with it some more, I taped the holes on the air box up, and put the snorkel back on and than dropped needles to what was originally installed,and the 22.5 primary with the exception of the two jets that were mixed up. I placed the needles back to the middles and put the air screws at two and a half out. I still get hesitation/bogging down when I try and take off. have to feather the throttle to get past first even. When in the garage I give it gas and it also boggs down. I am at a loss. do I just get the vito's kit and place new needles also? So now it is esentially at what it was when I bought it but it still doesn't go.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
SO I just got back from messing with it some more, I taped the holes on the air box up, and put the snorkel back on and than dropped needles to what was originally installed,and the 22.5 primary with the exception of the two jets that were mixed up. I placed the needles back to the middles and put the air screws at two and a half out. I still get hesitation/bogging down when I try and take off. have to feather the throttle to get past first even. When in the garage I give it gas and it also boggs down. I am at a loss. do I just get the vito's kit and place new needles also? So now it is esentially at what it was when I bought it but it still doesn't go.
And you are 100% sure the carbs are spotless inside. All jets, passages and the emulsion tubes.......

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Are you still using the stock needles? Open box with stock needles will force you to run way richer mains - up into the 170's... with a good aftermarket needle, like a DJ, GYTR or Vitos, the taper is much more aggressive and 160L/165R Mikuni mains is about correct.

You do want the 25 pilots.

Remember, pilots and screws = idle to 1/4 throttle

needles = 1/4 to 3/4 throttle

mains = 3/4 to wide open

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I ran out of time but before I ran out of daylight I tried one other thing I double checked my clear tube method and when I checked the left it was exactly 3mm. When I released the float bowl drain screw on the right nothing came out! So I gave the right carb a little rap on the head with the butt of my screwdriver and fuel began to flow. I than went with the 165/170 jets and a snorkel half taped up and the idle to 1/4 throttle went exactly like I imagine it should. Pulled nice and hard. But when I got above about 1/4 throttle it would bog waaaayyy down. I am guessing way to rich now that the right bowl seems to be getting fuel. Do all my problems seem like a likely response to the fuel bowl on one of the carbs not filling up? Tomorrow I am going to try and leave the jets in and the needles where they are at and pull the snorkel and the tape off the top of the airbox.
Does that seem like a logical step in the checking process?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you remove your air box lid that will lean it up some. so if it runs better with no lid then the jets are too rich for an airbox lid installed.

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Untape the snorkel, open up the airbox and hopefully, with both bowls filling, you'll be close. 160/165 is typical for open airboxes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Untape the snorkel, open up the airbox and hopefully, with both bowls filling, you'll be close. 160/165 is typical for open airboxes...
That was the next thing I was going to try,was untaping everything. I am still using the original needles so I know I will have to go higher than 160/165. But here is the question also. If I get rid of the snorkel and untape the airbox, will I be too lean on the idle to 1/4 throttle? because that seems like now that range is running fine.

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Probably. but that's the easiest to get in order - you have the screws...

Find some middle ground that works with these needles and these jets - some opening in the box, for instance, that will run well until you get the new needles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Probably. but that's the easiest to get in order - you have the screws...

Find some middle ground that works with these needles and these jets - some opening in the box, for instance, that will run well until you get the new needles.
Well I ordered Vito's kit, I like the idea of the thumb screws. and I needed the needles anyways.

Thanks for all the input QuadManiac everyone on this forum has been a huge help! One more question/confirmation, I get the new needles I put them in guessing 160/165 and then see how it runs. If it is faster at 3/4 throttle than WOT than I need different Main jets? if it still bogs at just starting than I adjust the thumbscrews and if I can't get rid of the bog by adjusting screws than I use different Pilot jets? I do believe this was in the Carbs basics line but I just want to make sure.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
That was the next thing I was going to try,was untaping everything. I am still using the original needles so I know I will have to go higher than 160/165. But here is the question also. If I get rid of the snorkel and untape the airbox, will I be too lean on the idle to 1/4 throttle? because that seems like now that range is running fine.
If you arent using aftermarket needles with an open or modified air box you will need to raise the needles to the top and run main jets well over the 200, if I remember correctly, 230 mains come to mind...........and this is a compromise since you will still be running on the lean side and have problems in certain parts of the throttle range..............:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
The Vitos needles will take care of this issue - good choice on the kit.

'Get WOT to work well and the 160/165 should take care of that...

Adjust the needles (starting around 1 notch rich of center) until you get good response at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle,

Then adjust the fuel screws (starting around 2 turns) to get smooth idle with no popping on decel and no hanging idle... and no bogging when coming hard onto throttle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Vitos needles will take care of this issue - good choice on the kit.

'Get WOT to work well and the 160/165 should take care of that...

Adjust the needles (starting around 1 notch rich of center) until you get good response at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle,

Then adjust the fuel screws (starting around 2 turns) to get smooth idle with no popping on decel and no hanging idle... and no bogging when coming hard onto throttle.
QuadManiac, Thanks for the info when the kit comes in I will definitely update everyone here. Thanks also for the advice on where to start with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok so I got Vito's kit in and placed in the 160/65 jets and the thumbscrews at two out. Also with the 25 Pilot's. So here is the situation I placed all these in and kept messing with the thumb screws and found that there didn't seem to be much lag at about four turns out. So I repulled everything open and got 27.5 pilots. Now it seemed to run perfect at two turns out on thumbscrews. So I took it for a run and it started out perfect after about two hundred yards I turned around and gave it gas and it bogged down seeming like it wouldn't get any fuel. So I started thinking and replaced the fuel filter and Bamn!!! took care of the the bogging after a quick run. So I figured I should also do a quick plug check and got a new plug. It has been sitting for a couple of days and when I placed the new plug in it today it still ran great but after about five minutes of hard riding it now seemed to bog just a touch on the idle just when I would give it hard gas and than it would pick back up and run like a bat outta hell.
So what do you guys think. Play with the thumb screws a little bit more? To me this sound still like a lean issue on off idle circuit. Am I right on that? I am sorry I didn't try to turn the choke on a touch to see if that helped. Thanks for everyone's help on this so far. Just a touch more to go and we should be good to ride the dunes for my wife's birthday coming up soon. What happens when you are too rich off idle? Does it just backfire or can the bog be because it is too rich and I should go back down to the 25 pilot jets?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so I got Vito's kit in and placed in the 160/65 jets and the thumbscrews at two out. Also with the 25 Pilot's. So here is the situation I placed all these in and kept messing with the thumb screws and found that there didn't seem to be much lag at about four turns out. So I repulled everything open and got 27.5 pilots. Now it seemed to run perfect at two turns out on thumbscrews. So I took it for a run and it started out perfect after about two hundred yards I turned around and gave it gas and it bogged down seeming like it wouldn't get any fuel. So I started thinking and replaced the fuel filter and Bamn!!! took care of the the bogging after a quick run. So I figured I should also do a quick plug check and got a new plug. It has been sitting for a couple of days and when I placed the new plug in it today it still ran great but after about five minutes of hard riding it now seemed to bog just a touch on the idle just when I would give it hard gas and than it would pick back up and run like a bat outta hell.
So what do you guys think. Play with the thumb screws a little bit more? To me this sound still like a lean issue on off idle circuit. Am I right on that? I am sorry I didn't try to turn the choke on a touch to see if that helped. Thanks for everyone's help on this so far. Just a touch more to go and we should be good to ride the dunes for my wife's birthday coming up soon. What happens when you are too rich off idle? Does it just backfire or can the bog be because it is too rich and I should go back down to the 25 pilot jets?
Here a couple things to keep in mind when jetting............
The engine must always be at opearting temperature, if it isnt, it will run on the lean side when cold..........
Too rich in the idle circuit and you will get a throttle hesitation off idle........
Too lean you will get a bog off idle and a hanging idle..........
Make sure you use the complete air intake system you are going to be using when riding..............

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Lean the fuel screws a 1/4 turn each - see if your hesitation off idle goes away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts