Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting ready to put on new bars and was thinking about getting rid of the key. The bike is always locked in the garage and i would bet if someone steals it they wont be starting it up anyway. I know I can move the key somewhere else but i would rather just get rid of it. Is it even possible? i removed keys before on 2 stroke atvs, but they had no battery. Thanks in advance :cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you are keeping the stock steering stem you can get a trail tech bar clamp that has a place for the key.
The only issue I found was the wiring is not long enough to fit I had to add about 2in of wire to get it to fit.
The trail tech clamp is a nice bit of kit.

Removing the key would be easy it is only two wires. You could use a toggle switch or something similar.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if i didnt use a toggle? Would it kill the battery even if the kill switch is off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes the kill switch just interupts the spark. u need a way to switch the batt power on and off. i guess u could disconect the batt every time you stop and then hook it back up to start the quad again. a key just makes life alot easier. J

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well i kept the key. i just ziptied it down under the bars in front of the radiator. it looks alright. i will have to ride it and make sure it stays.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I installed a switch on mine this weekend after loosing my key. I simply spliced the wires and installed a switch between the two. The key would still work if I find it and the switch bypasses it. No issues, works great.

Funny thing is that I called the dealer to get a new key... and he told me I needed my key to make a double. Talk about having things backwards... Apparently Yamaha does not have a database of key models vs serials.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
tech quad shop has the billet key holder that goes in the reverse spot and they work great. I got mine from jokers vault but they are no longer around but I have the Dr D reverse lever that mounts on your hanlde bars. Tahitis key spot is a good one too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts