Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the rain I haven't been out for a putt in a while, nothing meaningful anyway. I just noticed the one rear tire looked kind of low. Yep, two 3/8" slits right in the bottom of the tire. About a 1/4 rotation apart and next to a lug/tread. Probably from the metal strap I ran over a week ago :mad:
So obviously a plug isn't going to work. Can these be patched? My dealer's closed and I don't want to wait til tomorrow for either the good or the bad news.

Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
What do you think about putting a inner tube in?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I few weeks ago I got a 2 inch gash in the sidewall on my shifter side rear. Dealership said a plug wouldnt work, so they put a boot on from the inside and an inner tube. Its working great and surprisingly doesnt pull at all at 12 o clock.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a small slit in my rear tire. I put a patch on the inside, but very carefully. By that I mean I grinded the rubber until it was smooth, but not too deep either. You have to be very careful.

·
GO BLUE!!!
641 Posts
Kinda off topic but how you liking those ITP GNCC's? I've been thinking of a set of those or the HD's thanks

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not Put a tube in it. The tube will create friction which causes heat which causes expansion which causes explosions. This is what I do for a living ( Tires )....and you will have to trust me on this one. remove tire from wheel and put a RAD110 patch on the inside or take it down to your tire dealer and have them put a plug/patch combo in it from the inside out.make sure the patch is correct if its the black patch with red jagged outside line around it (very common) thats the wrong patch. thats a tube patch....you want a blue edge patch with blue glue....it does make a difference.....if they say it doesnt matter what glue to use, grab your tire say have a nice day and dont go back!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to call them later today and see if they have the "right" patch and what they say about fixing it. If things don't sound right I will try another ATV dealer.
I remember there used to be things called hot patches that you pulled a plug through from the inside and set the patch on fire. It fizzled a bit and was really supposed to set up well. Didn't see anyone mention it so I'll assume the glues they use today are better.

How do I like the GNNCs? I like the traction and cornering, but flat aside, they seem to be prematurely wearing :(

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the phone with my dealer's service dept. He said they would probably use a "shoulder patch" on it. I asked him about the blue edge on the patch and he said, Yeah, that's just an inside patch, so they at least know what it is. This shoulder patch sounds exactly like the hot patch I described except it uses epxoy in place of the chemical reaction of whatever was set on fire back in "the day".

I'm a little concerned over what SWF rider wrote, about the high speed blowout. Can you really have a high speed blowout on a tire that only has 4.5 lbs pressure in it? Wouldn't the initial puncture going about 50 MPH have had the same effect, if any?

One thing I've noticed about this flat and my last one, on the stock tires. These 6 ply non-radials are much more rigid. I can't get a reading on the tire pressure guage, but if I had to I could limp home on it.... in fact, I probably did :unsure:.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I say get new tires! You would hate to be out aways and have it fail on you. Sure it can be patched, but will it hold?.... well maybe it would?! But where I ride I am sometimes up to 30 miles away from camp and for me it just wouldn't be worth the walk back!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's why I carry a tire repair kit with inflator :thumbsup:
I figure the chance is just as good I'll get another flat as it is a patch failing, but y'all will be the first to know ;)

You kind of hit the nail on the head.... "tireS", as in plural. I wouldn't replace just one, I'd have to get two because I want to try out Razors next. I read a couple times that they wear better than Holeshot tires. The fronts still look great, but I don't like the look of the rears at all for as little time as I have on them. Granted, maybe no tire is going to last very long on those rocks along RR tracks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hear ya about the rail bed rocks. I had the ITP GNCC's on my 350 Raptor, great tire but, they got tore up in no time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whofarted said:
I hear ya about the rail bed rocks. I had the ITP GNCC's on my 350 Raptor, great tire but, they got tore up in no time.
Ackkk, where you a couple months ago dude? :lol:
How do you like the HDs?

BTW, $14.38 to fix that flat. My dealer charges $9.50 to mount a loose tire.
If I keep going out there though, it'll cost me a lot more than that.... some of those new sleds are wicked looking. They got this one, GT it said on it, I don't know if I like it or it's ugly, but it sure looks fun! Has a weird pushed in nose and looks like your weight and the engine's would be centered more than on typical sleds.
I guess it's the Banshee of the snowmobile world cause it sure has a different look about it :eek:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I thought you were talking about stockers for some reason.....my bad! :crazy: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
135boom said:
Do yourself the favor and get a nice set of tires that are atleast 4 ply, if not 6ply.
The GNCCs are 6 ply :3question:
But while you're here.... how's that 15T sprocket workin' for ya? :lol:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The GNCC's are 6 ply and sound like a nice tire.....I had myself a nice brain fart.

oh....and the 15T is kickin some ass!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah they're nice, but I'm wondering if they have durability issues. Softer composite or something. The boys at the shop had a good chuckle at my expense, but I was laughing along with them.... It wasn't too long ago they took that Slime out of the tires because it was giving me a wobble at high speeds. I didn't run over crap when the Slime was in 'em (of course).

I used to have brain farts. Now my brain doesn't have enough gas to fart :grin_nod:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If the gncc's dont work for ya, I have always ran and abused the crap out of the ITP XCR-03's. Great tire....awesome handling, lite weight, good hookup! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts