Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sheared all six bolts off of the starter clutch!!!! NOW I can not fint the last bolt. I know one came out of the left crank case cover, but there is still one bolt missing. I replaced one way with L&A, put back together and rode easy. After a few minutes of riding at higher RPM I heard a noise like it was loose some where inside the motor:wow:! Any Ideas?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I sheared all six bolts off of the starter clutch!!!! NOW I can not fint the last bolt. I know one came out of the left crank case cover, but there is still one bolt missing. I replaced one way with L&A, put back together and rode easy. After a few minutes of riding at higher RPM I heard a noise like it was loose some where inside the motor:wow:! Any Ideas?
A magnetic drain plug would have caught and held on to it instead of letting it run through the transmission gears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's in the transmission gears... Could be I am not saying it's not, but it almost sounded as if it may be elsewhere... Are the transmission gears the only other place it can reach.. I am no wiz, only seeking advice from more knowledgeable people.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
120 Posts
whn mine blew, three went into tranny,took off sidecover to see with a light ,and got two out with skinny magnet.the other was more difficult.we put quad on its front bumper ,standing it up,and tapped on engine cases with plastic/rubber hammer.then stood it on back,did same,then on front again,still tapping;and it fell so we could get it with magnet ....this worked for me anyway............

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I had one that wasnt accounted for. I put a magnetic drain plug in and rode it easy on the side of a hill so the bolt would vibrate over to the LH side. Dumped the oil and it was stuck on the magnet.

You might try that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's definitely in the transmission gears? Do u guys think I have damaged them? Thanks for the help!!!! I'm ready to ride!

·
Registered
266 Posts
My bike did the same thing, we got the bolts out with a magnet taped to a flexible piece of wire. Take the stator side cover off and make sure those bolts didn't damage anything else, especially the cam chain.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
It is hard to say where it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have overlooked everything VISIBLE... Stator, Chain, Case, and gears and bearings all appear to be fine. after replacing with L&A I notice a noise that I did not like so I rode it easy. Still same noise, when I went to speed up a bit I could here Something Jumping around in there!.... I parked the bike and then started it back up to see what the sound was like again.... Even while sitting still in neutral the same noise was occurring....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have overlooked everything VISIBLE... Stator, Chain, Case, and gears and bearings all appear to be fine. after replacing with L&A I notice a noise that I did not like so I rode it easy. Still same noise, when I went to speed up a bit I could here Something Jumping around in there!.... I parked the bike and then started it back up to see what the sound was like again.... Even while sitting still in neutral the same noise was occurring....
I would just do what 03Limited said and cross your fingers.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The weight of the bolt head will keep it floating at the bottom of the transmission, I would install a magnetic plug as previously stated and until you remove the missing bolt head, keep all four wheels on the ground.............. :D :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heard, Heard, and Heard! Thanks four the advice to all! Can't wait to be back up on 4 wheels!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I had this happen to me.
Found the missing head under the clutch cover.
Also replaced the oil pump because it had particles go through it!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I had this happen to me.
Found the missing head under the clutch cover.
Also replaced the oil pump because it had particles go through it!
This leads me to tell you of an event that happened to my son's YFZ 450 bike, it was sabotaged last year sometime during the oval track race season, someone removed the timing inspection plug, this is a small plastic plug about one inch in diameter, and shoved a banshee head stud into the engine, this stud is about 2 inches long by 5/16 diameter, this stud marked up the flywheel a bit, then crossed over through the transmission, and lodged under the clutch basket, basically tearing the clutch basket apart, and splitting open the clutch side case. What I found totally amazing is that it never got caught in the transmission gears. This could have been catastrophic for both driver and bike.
The bike had to be pushed off the track back to the pits, but he did win the race........... :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
SCMarraptor i think ur rappy ate and swollowed the bolt...lol.the magnetic drain plug sounds way easier thn what i did...good luck,and hope your ripping soon.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I had this happen today exept I got to find 4 bolts.....I had fun for about 3 hours total..just hope the transmission is ok

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Try snaking a magnet around in the bottom end through the small hole. Use a hard drive magnet to try to bring them over to the area that you can get a magnet in to.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This is the second time they came loose what would cause them to come loose again? I used red loc tight.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Maybe this will help someone one day.....I ended up not draining my oil...put a jack under the left reare tire. and raised it so that when I took the stator cover off, no oil drained....I didn't find any bolts once I took the cover off, so I put the oil drain pan under the left side of the engine... and raised the right rear tire with the jack to drain the oil... then took a long but skinney magnetic flat head and dug 3 bolts out like that...the forth bolt I forgot to mention I found after raising the right rear and draining the oil. it took a total of 15 minutes.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
This is the second time they came loose what would cause them to come loose again? I used red loc tight.
Oil in the threads of the flywheel. Loctite will not work with oil contaminated threads.........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts