Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 20x11x9 ITP Mudlite tires on my 07 Raptor 700. The tires started leaking from the bead, there are no cuts or damage on the bead of the tires and i had sanded and cleaned the inside of the rims to get all the crap out of there. When I inflate to 25 to seat they dont leak, but as soon as i drop it to 6psi to run it they start leaking. I tried beating the tire with a hammer and bouncing it to get them to seat better to no avail. What else is recommended to get them to stop leaking? The tires have almost full tread and hate to have to buy a new set just because of the one tire leaking out of the bead

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
when i was having trouble getting my tires to seat I tried soap and water and more soap on the rim and had no luck. I then used a propper tire fitting lube and to my surprize it worked. So it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same problem, diff set of tires though, and I had to pull the tire off the rim and remount it. I thought for sure some dirt must of gotten in there but there wasn't anything to be found. Once I remounted them, no more problems...

Good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use Stanz to seal mine before I got the beadlocks.. It is for sealing tubeless bicycle tires.. Works great...

Link to Stanz

·
Registered
320 Posts
you havent warped the rim ?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Slime or anything like it is just a bandage for what's really going on...plus it eat your rim finish and make more vibration come from the rear...
Yup, Your right, But it is cheaper than tires, My tires had slightly damaged beads from small rock and stones, Rims were perfect... Stanz will not eat the rims, It is designed for Bike rims which are a lot more sensitive than ATV rims.
Plus, U use a couple of cap fulls, Not a bucket of it!!!!!!
So I made a suggestion that is a lot cheaper than replacing tires..

Have you got any better ideas!!!

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Yup, Your right, But it is cheaper than tires, My tires had slightly damaged beads from small rock and stones, Rims were perfect... Stanz will not eat the rims, It is designed for Bike rims which are a lot more sensitive than ATV rims.
Plus, U use a couple of cap fulls, Not a bucket of it!!!!!!
So I made a suggestion that is a lot cheaper than replacing tires..

Have you got any better ideas!!!
Yeah I do..don't be cheap....to the op try some different rims like used ones and see if thats the problem if not look @ the rubber on the bead area on the tire...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rubber on the bead area looks to be fine. I am going to try a few of these suggestions and see what happens

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Seal the bead with Permatex "The Right Stuff". You can even fix a flat on the sidewall with that stuff, it's crazy.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My buddy works at Firestone, he does all my tire work. They have a paste that they put on the bead thats sticky and its suppoes to stop bead leaks. I had it done on my paddles, havent had a leak sence. Not sure what its called but if you go to a pro tire shop im sure they will know what you are talking about. Its real sticky tho and it attracts dirt and hard to get off but it works.
It just bead sealer that they use.

You can break the tire down and put grease in the bead then reseat the bead, sometimes that will seal up bead leaks or go to your parts store and pick up a can of bead sealer, thats the black stuff that yellowraptor700r is talking about, I have sealed up some pretty nasty bead leaks with that stuff.

·
VIP
1,057 Posts
You can try marking the leak on the tire with some tape or a crayon and then break down both beads and spin the tire 180* on the rim. If that does not fix it then you can try flipping the tire around on the rim so the leaking bead is on the opposite side.

My friend had a bead leak on his Razr2's that he couldn't get to stop with bead sealer. I broke the tire down and flipped it and now both beads seal perfectly.

You can spray the bead and seat of the rim with WD40 to help lubricate when you seat the bead with the compressor.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It just bead sealer that they use.

You can break the tire down and put grease in the bead then reseat the bead, sometimes that will seal up bead leaks or go to your parts store and pick up a can of bead sealer, thats the black stuff that yellowraptor700r is talking about, I have sealed up some pretty nasty bead leaks with that stuff.
Yup, Bicycle sealant called Stanz, Doesn't make a mess and it seals really well...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts