Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I just picked up a bad ass set of shocks and A-arms.
I bought front and rear elka factory long travel shocks and ASR +3 long travel A-arms.
I can't wait to get them bolted up but I have to get the shocks re-sprung for my weight.

So while I weight to get them set up I was going to fit a wider axle.
How wide should I go at the back?

Here is a pic of my shocks and A-arms.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adjustable axle sounds like the way to go.

The shocks are elka factory and I got them for a steal.

They are valved for enduro/desert racing with only around 10 hours riding time.
The price I payed for the whole set up wouldn't even pay for the rear shock new.
From what I know a fair bit of R&D went into building it because they haven't built a rear factory shock for the raptor before.

Once I get them set up they should give me a pretty plush ride.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So let me get this straight.
Front is + each side and rear is total.
So if I bought a +5 adjustable axle it would be +5 overall and not each side.

What brands are worth getting for a decent price?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I finally got everything bolted up.
The difference is night and day over stock.
They feel a bit on the harsh side until you ride aggressively then they feel great.

The arms were an absolute pain to get everything lined up.
I spent so long trying to get the camber,caster and toe lined up.
It took me hours but the effort was worth it.

I swapped the stock A arms and front shocks for a new RPM Dominator axle.
I can't wait for that to arrive.

Here is a couple of pics.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Those shocks are pretty sweet looking...if you get them rebuilt by a known shock tuner he can make them alot better as elkas aren't that great from the factory, if u get them set up for u they will ride better that why they don't feel very good at low speed right now they aren't setup for u and your style of riding. Maybe im wrong about this but you put a lt Trvl shock on a std Trvl swing arm and linkage?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those shocks are pretty sweet looking...if you get them rebuilt by a known shock tuner he can make them alot better as elkas aren't that great from the factory, if u get them set up for u they will ride better that why they don't feel very good at low speed right now they aren't setup for u and your style of riding. Maybe im wrong about this but you put a lt Trvl shock on a std Trvl swing arm and linkage?
I had them re-sprung for my body weight.
The guy I sent them to knows Elka's very well.
He told me that they would be harsh and you really have to ride them hard to make full use of them.
I will be doing desert racing / Enduro riding next year and for that they feel like they might do the job.
I will have to put some serious ride time on them to make the decision if I should re-valve.
Funny you should mention the rear shock It's the fronts that feel a bit harsh but the rear feels awesome.

·
*Woo Woo!*
621 Posts
I dont think there is such thing as a long travel rear for the raptor 700 so its probably fine I'd imagine on the stock arm/link. Thats crazy how the previous owner had a set of $3500 shocks on a set of cheap american star arms.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea It is a shame about the ASR a arms.
There aren't many +3 arms for the rappy out there.
The build quality looks rather good and they are fully adjustable.
I don't like the spacer thing on the top a arms but at least if I bend one I can get a new one with ASR's unconditional warranty.

A lot of guys here in OZ run wide set ups for desert racing (High speed) and most of them run full flight or lone star.

I will be looking at a different set of a arms when funds allow.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Yea It is a shame about the ASR a arms.
There aren't many +3 arms for the rappy out there.
The build quality looks rather good and they are fully adjustable.
I don't like the spacer thing on the top a arms but at least if I bend one I can get a new one with ASR's unconditional warranty.

A lot of guys here in OZ run wide set ups for desert racing (High speed) and most of them run full flight or lone star.

I will be looking at a different set of a arms when funds allow.
Stay away from full flight..asr is way better.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
You won't bend that spacer, if anything you'd bend the bolt beneath it. It's the same type of setup my much more expensive Houser a-arms use, so I wouldn't count the existence of that upper spacer as a defect or example of cheapness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts