Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Carb Body Needle Washer? Update: Possible Bad Floats

Cleaning the carbs on my '02 and in the process, a small washer fell out of the bottom of the carb barrel where the needle goes through. Are these held in by anything or just rest in place on their on?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Cleaning the carbs on my '02 and in the process, a small washer fell out of the bottom of the carb barrel where the needle goes through. Are these held in by anything or just rest in place on their on?
I am guessing you mean the washer under the e clip.......if so it is supported by the guillotine valve and e clip............

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: Possible Bad Floats

Im just a dumb a$$ I guess. The washer must have fallen out of the valve when I pulled the needles and didnt notice it.

These carbs belong to a friend of mine. He knew I had re-jetted my own carbs and was having trouble with his and wanted me to check them out and re-jet. After cleaning them, putting in big jets and setting up the carbs with the clear tube, I could not get rid of a middle throttle stumble. After messing around with them for a long time, I just swapped his carbs with mine.

Now Im trying to get them straighten out and I think the floats are bad. Setting the floats anywhere from 14mm-16mm out of the carb body, they still overflow. Leaving the bowls off and manually lifting the floats, shuts the fuel off.

Could there be another problem or is it the floats?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Im just a dumb a$$ I guess. The washer must have fallen out of the valve when I pulled the needles and didnt notice it.

These carbs belong to a friend of mine. He knew I had re-jetted my own carbs and was having trouble with his and wanted me to check them out and re-jet. After cleaning them, putting in big jets and setting up the carbs with the clear tube, I could not get rid of a middle throttle stumble. After messing around with them for a long time, I just swapped his carbs with mine.

Now Im trying to get them straighten out and I think the floats are bad. Setting the floats anywhere from 14mm-16mm out of the carb body, they still overflow. Leaving the bowls off and manually lifting the floats, shuts the fuel off.

Could there be another problem or is it the floats?
You may be placing more force on the worn out needle and seat than would be expected by fuel lifting the float in the bowl.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after using that search button on overflowing carbs, stumbled across a few threads pointing to the needle valve and body. Went out and tore the carbs down again, this time the valve bores came out too. The o-rings look pretty chewed up, took quite some effort to get them out. Needle valve themselves look pretty good:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was just going to say! It took me FOREVER to get the clear tube method done because the seats for the needles had bad O-rings!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been fighting this problem for 3 afternoons! When all else fails, use the search function.

Im hoping the local shop will have a set in stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.