Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard wouldn it be to make my 05 Raptor 660 Fuel Injected? Would it even be worth the time or money? :3question:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
its been brought up before...most people don't bother with it. A guy with the screen name phucker (or something along them lines) did it to a 660. Maybe you would want to contact him on here and see what he has to say.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
A carb that is tuned right should out preform fuel injection. I would like one bike with fuel injection so i could ride it here and in the mountains and not have to rejet.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
A carb that is tuned right should out preform fuel injection.
I contend that a good F/I system can outperform any carb, hands down... with enough information from enough different environmental and operational sensors, the computer can contol the a/f mixture with much better precision, over a much wider band of operating parameters than can a carb with three metering circuits.

Unfortunatly, very few bike F/I systems meet this criteria - nor would they be very affordable if they did.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I contend that a good F/I system can outperform any carb, hands down... with enough information from enough different environmental and operational sensors, the computer can contol the a/f mixture with much better precision, over a much wider band of operating parameters than can a carb with three metering circuits.

Unfortunatly, very few bike F/I systems meet this criteria - nor would they be very affordable if they did.
QM, I don't understand your premiss that bike F/I systems are week. All F/I systems are "mapped" to the basic parrameters of what the engine is exspected to do at factory specs. Even a basic mapping is quite complicated and has some incredable capacity. Far beyond any carb (mechanical) system. Massive input to the F/I system on these simple one cylinder engines is not required.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Hmmm how hard would a 700 swap then turbo one day when I get $$$$...... Got me thinking now MD......

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
QM, I don't understand your premiss that bike F/I systems are week. All F/I systems are "mapped" to the basic parrameters of what the engine is exspected to do at factory specs. Even a basic mapping is quite complicated and has some incredable capacity. Far beyond any carb (mechanical) system. Massive input to the F/I system on these simple one cylinder engines is not required.
I don't see where I said bike F/I was 'week' [sp]. I stated that a good F/I can outperform a carb. However, an O2 sensor is needed to really get there, and a many bike F/I's (including the Raptor) do not use them.

Number of cylinders has nothing to do with it... it is simply a matter of how many parameters need to be monitored and how much does the manufacturer want to spend to get the air/fuel mixture correct as often as possible under as many operational conditions as possible. With an O2 sensor one can get all the way there. Without it, one can only get close.... and sometimes (only sometimes) NOT as close as can be achieved with good carb tuning.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I saw Phuckers bike, I said sweet I want to do it, he replied, buy a 700! He's a machinest and fabricator by trade so when some on like that tells you it's not worth it then you gotta believe it!
Yeah I bet it would be easier to just buy a 700 lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts