Raptor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to get the wheeler out after sitting for a couple years. i put a new battery in it along with a new spark plug and some new gas and hoped for the best :confused: lol needless to say i didnt get her running. i opened both of the bowl screws on the carbs and let the gas flow, it was tarnished. once the bowls emptied, no more gas came out. i pulled the carbs off and was suprised how clean the carbs are inside the bowls for sitting for 3 years ;) now here is my problem...

with the carbs pulled off i hooked up the gas tank and turned the gas on with the bowls off and held the floats up, just to make sure im getting fuel coming out of both, im not. the left carb flows fine but the right side carb is plugged up.(no gas comes out when you let the float down) i tried spraying carb cleaner down the gas receive line and up in the plunger area to try and eat away at whatever is in there but no luck so far.

my question is how do i remove the plunger so that i can unblock and clean it out so i get gas flow going(i would believe this is why my bike wont start.)

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One thing - Raptors are VERY prone to carb plugging problems when fuel sits in them for a long time leaving a gunky varnish behind - to eliminate the problem, any time they are going to sit, close the petcock and idle the engine till it dies.

RE the float plunger - One small screw holds a pin through the float, the plunger hangs from the float.

Download the factory service manual from the stickies at the top of the 660 Maintenance section for more/better info.

If the float valve is varnished closed, you can bet that varnish is plugging other small passages (especially the pilot jets) too - it's time to pull the carbs apart (one at a time so you always have a reference!!), pull all the fuel wetted components and jets and clean each individually - replace the o-rings under the float valve seat, under the emulsion tube (needle valve in manual), on fuel screws (pilot screws in manual) and on the choke plunger.

With a good cleaning you should be good to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts