Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so your throttle cable goes into that triangle piece and holds ur cable in it the gold piece that sticks out of the carb and threads to your throttle cable broke off and i got another set of carbs but im trying to get the whole triangle piece housing off and i dont know how i got the 2 allen head screws out but the thing that holds ur cable in i dont know how to get it off with the big spring underneath it pleas help me tell me how to get it off thank you

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Turn the cam/pulley about half way to loosen up the cable, then pull the loose cable off the pulley part of cam, turn cable so it will fit out of slot, pull brass insert out of hole with cable passing thru slot, remove cable end from brass insert, remove cable from threaded tube.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya maybe i gotta refrase it that copper thing that spins how do u take that off it has the spring underneath it i need that off so i can pull the whole thing off after u take off the 2 allen head screws that are behind that copper twisty thingy

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Why do you need to separate the carbs? There's usually no reason to do so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was just going to try to take off the whole casing for that little gold piece that sticks out but now i done and messed up i put it all back together but now that spring that is behind the throttle cable holder is not recoiling the throttle and i dont know what to do about it

·
VIP
1,058 Posts
You need to hook the spring on the gold piece and then spin it counter clockwise one turn before you slide it onto the throttle shaft and then install the lock washer and nut.

The straight end of the spring goes into the groove in the bottom of the housing and the hooked end attaches to the notch in the copper plate piece.

This will load the spring so the throttle will return back to the closed position.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i never disconnected the throttle shaft. i was trying to figure out how to do that i dont know how to do it. do you have to take those paddles and on the other end some lock washer or something and does it just slide out?

·
VIP
1,058 Posts
i was just going to try to take off the whole casing for that little gold piece that sticks out but now i done and messed up i put it all back together but now that spring that is behind the throttle cable holder is not recoiling the throttle and i dont know what to do about it
You say here that the spring behind the gold piece is not recoiling the throttle. I just explained to you how to fiix that.

As for your original question...If you remove the 10mm nut and lock washer that holds the gold piece on, then you can remove that gold piece along with the spring and the plastic spacer to access the 2 allen head bolts that you were asking about in your first post. Then when you reinstall the part on your new carbs, do it like I explained in my previous post, so the throttle return spring is under tension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i get what u were saying on your other post but how do u turn in 1 full turn counter clockwise? it only does like a 1/4 of a spin?

·
VIP
1,058 Posts
You need to hook the spring onto the gold piece and spin it one full turn CCW before you slide the gold piece on the throttle shaft. Then the lock washer and nut go on. It is pretty tricky to spin it, because the spring is under alot of tension, but it's not that hard to do.

I just did this on my 700 a few days ago when I changed out the throttle body and the throttle housing and internals on the TB are identical to the 660 carbs, so it's not as hard as you think it is. I just hooked the spring and spun it 360 degrees CCW and slid it onto the throttle shaft. \

Do you not have a shop manual?

If not, I suggest you download it from the 660 maintenance section.

·
VIP
1,058 Posts
do u have to take the 10mm bolt off to get it to turn? thanks this is my first time doin carbs
Now you post this. :)

I assumed you had already removed it, since the spring tension had been released.

Remove the nut and lockwasher, then the gold plate and the spacer and spring. Then you can get to the two allen screws to remove the throttle housing if you need to transfer it to the other set of carbs.

After you transfer it over and tighten the two allen screws, then install the spring and spacer and then spin the plate 360 CCW to preload the return spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts