Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my mechanic says these 660's are nortorious for blowing carbs off because of the high compression. Is this true? My 03 keeps doing it and i dont have a clue how to prevent this. And yes zip ties were attempted. Any ideas?

Thank you

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Most mechanics don't have a clue regarding the real physics involved in an engine - they just know how to turn wrenches. Calling the (stock) 660 high compression just proves his limited understanding. It's only 9.2 to 1, rather mild for a quad or just about any other gasoline engine.

The carbs blow off due to backfires, usually because the air/fuel mixture is too lean in the idle circuit and the popping occurs on deceleration. Try opening your fuel screws 1/4 to 1/2 turn CCW and see if it helps.

In the 660's case, the carb boot clamps have always been an issue - really bad in 01, a bit better in 02+. Make sure the carbs are fully seated and clamps are tight - you can remove the spacer from the clamp screw and get them even tighter... You can also replace the clamps with screw type hose clamps.

Make sure that the carb and the boot are both sqeaky clean where they overlap - no lubricant for sure. If you need help sliding the carbs into the boots, smear a little gas around the boot edge - this will make it easier to get together, but then evaporate, leaving nothing slippery behind.

If all else fails, you can get aftermarket boots that have a stronger retention interface.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Most mechanics don't have a clue regarding the real physics involved in an engine - they just know how to turn wrenches. Calling the (stock) 660 high compression just proves his limited understanding. It's only 9.2 to 1, rather mild for a quad or just about any other gasoline engine.
Hey I am a mechanic............::)

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
AND - you are special! Certainly not lumped in with the typical described as 'most'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.