Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wtf:eek:kay, the other day i was riding my rappy around with my son on his power wheels and as he was slowly comming around the house i was in second gear and i felt somthing "wet" hit my leg, but didnt think anything of it then, so i continued roding around, getting it up on 2 wheels around the turns and i really felt somthing splashing on my leg then so i stopped and looked and the starter wsa covered in gas and i seen it comming out of the Right side carb ( the side the Rear Brake Lever is on) a buddy of myne here at home suggested that it was because i had it on the 2 wheels bicycling which made sense, but i just wanna ask other people to be sure. and opinions or ideas?

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
Is it leaking when sitting still horizontal? If not, then it's not huge deal - carb float may be a bit high, but not an immediate issue. There is supposed to be a tube from the bottom of carb to below the swingarm so that gas won't get you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i noticed today i was riding again, on level surface, it was leaking a bit onto the starter, there are no little tubes on the bottom of the bowls to divert the dispersement of the excess fuel, but i did think about them, i really dont wanna get to pulling the carbs off tho =/ looks like a PITA to do =/ and its not only the Right side carb doing it, the left one also.

Another question, Checking the oil level, i took it to a yamaha dealer here nearby my place and had a routine maitnence done to it ect... well after i got it home i noticed that if i pull the oil dip stick, the oil tank is over flowing whether i let it run for a few mins to warm up and even if its cold. please explain to me the proper procedure for checking the oil, i really wouldnt wanna be harming the engine with it over full would it cause any problems? this 660 is my First ATV to be honest, i was looking at a Kawi Mojave for my first or maybe at least a warrior but they both seemed to not have enough power to lug my fat arse around efficently so i went with this big bored 660 and it moves me so smoothly :) i usually work with 2 stroke dirtbikes so checking the oil was never an issue, just getting the mixture right for the fuel is the only thing that matters with them :)

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
Run engine till warm. Turn off, let sit for a minute or two. Check dipstick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea its still over flowing even when warmed up for a few mins, and on the part about taking the carbs apart, im not really sure id want to do that, ive never torn into a dual carb setup before and id HATE to accidentally misplace somthing and put it back wrong, ill take it down to the local guy who works on the gncc bikes and have him take a looksy at it all i do know is that from now on, i am NOT going back to the dealer to get maintence done to the bike, the Fubard it more and anything... over filling the oil valves werent adjusted right, my low end bogs a bit till i get into mid range :mad: dealer = stealer =/ thanks for tha dvice guys! :)

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
remove and leave together as a pair, but only take apart and clean one at a time.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Take some step by step pics with a digital cam so after you just redo the process backwards! Should be a sinch this way! Just an idea...

·
Registered
164 Posts
How are the tubes that are supposed to be on the bottom of the carb bowls attached? My quad is missing them as well and I am wondering if I should replace them. It seems they would tend to fall off since the carb drains are tapered. Are they just rubber hoses ziptied on?

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
Clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot will work fine, just slip it over the nipple on bottom of each carb and use a zip tie to hold if necessary.

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
I assume the valve was to prevent water from coming up thru the o-flow tube if the bike was submerged to carb level... if you plan on a lot of river fording, it might be a good idea - but there are other issues that will probably bite you first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
see thats the thing tho, i could see maybe a little bit of fuel comming out every once in a while, but in fact even when i yank the front wheels off the ground and rip a wheelie, it starts leaking gas, if ia take a corner to hard, it leaks gas and its not a tiny bit either, it will make a pool right next to the started and i usually take an air hose and blow it away so it dosent catch fire. i guess i can try and yank the carbs off and check the floats, just installing the throttle cable is a bunghole on that double carb setup tho =/

now if i have the bike sitting, at an idle and i turn the wheel right, the rim hits my a-arm skid plate, if i turn it left, the bike shuts off

the Rim hitting the skidplate id say is alignment but the left turn and the bike shuts off??? yea, its got me all kinds of confused =/

·
Registered
273 Posts
ghost........that kinda weird unless you got a wire grounding out when you turn it ????

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
You have several, obviously unrelated problems, StreetLimitz...

1) your float levels are set a bit high, so when you go through extreme maneuvers, the fuel level rises above the overflow tube in the bowl and drains out the bottom.

2) Your steering stem is likely twisted a bit, but has been adjusted out using the tie rods - so steering turns further in one direction than in the other - replacement steering stem is the only real solution.

3) EITHER

your throttle cable is sticking or binding somewhere along its path to the carbs, so when you steer hard left, it's turning throttle down (I'll bet the throttle speed screw is not setting idle speed - the cable adjustment is) Try loosening up the throttle cable adjustment nuts until you have some play in the thumb throttle, then set idle speed with the idle speed adjustment knurled thumbscrew - bottom left rear of left carb.

OR

you have a loose connection to the run/stop switch (black/red or red/black wires) which is breaking connection when you steer hard left.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts