Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quad sat for a few months without being ridden, and now the carb appears to be clogged. It won't fire unless I spray some starting fluid in, and when I do that, it fires right away. Apparently I'm not getting any fuel through the carb. I pulled the fuel line connection loose at the carb, and I've got good fuel flow there.

I drained the carb bowl, closed the drain screw, and then cranked it a while and opened the screw again to drain it, but the bowl was dry. It doesn't appear to be filling the bowl. This is the first time I've had to tinker with the carb on it, so I'm not very familiar with it.

Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
You know the metal tube that the fuel line wraps around? the one that goes to the float bowl?
make sure it's not clogged with anything like a piece of dirt or it's gummed up from old gas or something. If it's not the fuel line with the problem, it's the metal tube. You can spray some carb cleaner in there to eat away at whatever is blocking the fuel, or you can stick something in the hole like a paperclip or something to push whatever is blocking the incoming fuel out of the tube.
Also, make sure the jets in the carburetor are clean. I would fill up the float bowl with carburetor cleaner and let the jets sit in it for a little while. There are 4 jets in the carburetor. 3 of them are in the float bowl, and one is located under a cap on the side of the carburetor. I would just worry about the 3 main jets inside the float bowl, give them a bath in carb cleaner. And I would get bottle of carburetor cleaner that you dump into your gas tank that mixes with your gas. That will clean out the last jet and whatever else is clogged.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My quad sat for a few months without being ridden, and now the carb appears to be clogged. It won't fire unless I spray some starting fluid in, and when I do that, it fires right away. Apparently I'm not getting any fuel through the carb. I pulled the fuel line connection loose at the carb, and I've got good fuel flow there.

I drained the carb bowl, closed the drain screw, and then cranked it a while and opened the screw again to drain it, but the bowl was dry. It doesn't appear to be filling the bowl. This is the first time I've had to tinker with the carb on it, so I'm not very familiar with it.

Any advice?

Thanks
Needle and seat may be plugged or stuck closed..............

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, sounds like your needle and seat are stuck. May be able to free up, but better off just to replace. Also clean your jets good while your in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, guys. I sprayed some carb cleaner into the fuel inlet tube (the metal one) this morning, and I also pulled the plastic cover off the top of the carb and removed and cleaned up the needle that mounts just below it. I sprayed some carb cleaner from there down into the carb, hoping it would work on the jets below, but I haven't had any luck yet. I haven't tried sticking anything into the fuel inlet tube to see if it's blocked, so I might give that a try next. As far as getting carb cleaner into the bowl and letting the jets soak in it, it that something I can do with the carb in place, or do I need to remove it from the quad?

Thanks again

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys. I sprayed some carb cleaner into the fuel inlet tube (the metal one) this morning, and I also pulled the plastic cover off the top of the carb and removed and cleaned up the needle that mounts just below it. I sprayed some carb cleaner from there down into the carb, hoping it would work on the jets below, but I haven't had any luck yet. I haven't tried sticking anything into the fuel inlet tube to see if it's blocked, so I might give that a try next. As far as getting carb cleaner into the bowl and letting the jets soak in it, it that something I can do with the carb in place, or do I need to remove it from the quad?

Thanks again
You need to dismantle the carbs and remove all jets and thoroughly clean all jets and passges..............

·
Registered
836 Posts
You don't have to remove the carb to get the jets out and clen up that area, you can just kind of twist it on it's side still in place, but I do recommend you do remove it so you can thoroughly clean everything

I would hit the jets and their passage ways with carb cleaner, and also possibly blow them out with compressed air.
Try running a piece of wire or a paperclip through the inlet tube to the float bowl to push any dirt out of there.
Maybe you should also try remvoving that plastic cap on the side of the carburetor and cleaning up that jet that is in there. But watch out, there is a small spring under the cap, and the jet is tiny.

I would invest in a bottle of the carb cleaner that mixes with your gas (you can find at any auto parts store, or a wallmart, or something.) Dump the bottle into your gas tank, and that will finish off whatever crap is in the carb that shouldn't be there that you may have missed while you were cleaning it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i know this is an old thread but i am having a similar problem, fuel goes in the metal inlet tube and only fills up the right bowl(the one closest to the metal inlet tube) i have pulled the bowls off and sprayed with carb cleaner and removed all jets and cleaned, the spot where the fuel comes into the bowls from the metal inlet tube seems to be plugged...how do i fix that? thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What ended up being wrong with your carb? I'm having the exact same problem. The metal inlet tube is clean, but somewhere between there and the bowl, it's plugged. All jets have been cleaned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts