Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! last riding trip the raptor was not working well - it is fine at idle and lower rpms but once it gets past 5-6k it starts to fart out and won't keep up any rpms. if it just open throttle it, it will reach 8k at most but will immediately drop off and jump around 4-6K.

I took the carb off, cleaned out the jets with carb cleaner and air pressure but it didnt help at all.

any ideas of what it can be?

I didnt touch anything before this started, the only thing that could have caused it is when I installed the yfz shocks (which are awesome by the way) to fit the a-arms I had to stand the quad up and it stood there overnight, the fuel was off but something may have got clogged in there from it standing up like that - thats the only cause I can think of.

I have no idea what do try now so any suggestions will be appreciated

·
Registered
827 Posts
if your running your lid i would remove it and check for gas that may be in your air box. i had a similar issue and i had gas in my airbox....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im running without lid and it all seems fine, floats seem ok, the go up and down freely but i really dont know how to diagnose.

also replaced plug and it didnt help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did your rappy sit for a long time since the last time you rode it ? I had a problem similar to yours I have a pro flow intake that I ran for years with the lid on and stock jets, it ran great until recently thanks to our selfish government and the fuel issues I rejetted the bad boy and it runs awesome. Or take the float pins out and feel for scratches in the pins if there is any your floats might be sticking

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the problems started after i installed the yfz shocks, i stood the quad upright to cut the part of the a-arm - it stood overnight, so i think it somehow jammed something in there.

i have no idea what jets to use either, mine obviously was rejetted because i have a 11:1 high compression piston, its bored out to 673 (101mm) has powroll race cam, yoshi exhause, proflo, drilled aribox - so i dont know what jets to use

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If it ran right prior to changing the shocks and you've cleand the carbs to eliminate the fuel possibility look at the wires up by the coil, make sure all are pluged in and not damaged. Also check the fuel flow from the tank, both regular and reserve setting. You may have moved some dirt around in the tank and pluged the petcock screen.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
pewterpecker said:
What does the reserve setting do? I've never used it, and I've seen it on other bikes...
When the petcock is in the "ON" position it will use up all but a small portion of the fuel in your tank. The inlet for the "reserve" position is lower and allows you to use a bit more of the fuel in your tank getting close to the bottom. This is designed as a kind of "low fuel" warning so that you know it's time to go fill back up when you need to switch to reserve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you just recently add fuel to the tank or are you using fuel that you had for a while ? I ask because on the east coast they have started to add ethonal to the fuel and it would cause a huge problem since your quad has many mods done . It kind of lowers the octane of the fuel in return it is like you are running your bike with a lower octane.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the replys, i added some more fuel to the tank but it didnt help anything. i checked the little filter and it didnt look plugged up, i dont know im probably going to fiddle with it some more but im thinking of giving up and taking it a mechanic

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it sucks they only sell spark plug wire as whole assy and its expensive as a butt, i cant really visually see anything wrong with it - it does make sense since the wire is pretty old - 2001.

thanks again for the input ill try and check it again

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If all you need is the wire from the coil to plug there are after market alternatives, nology comes to mind.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok in going to the dealer today will get a whole assy, its not as expensive as i thought, ill try it, thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
changed the coil, took the carbs apart again, checked the floats, cleaned all the passages - put it back together and i think it works! at least in neutral i can get it past 8k and hold it no problem, havent had a chance to actualy ride it yet but things are looking good!

thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts