Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The problem has came about somewhat suddenly. It normally starts right up, however I went to start it the other day and it wouldn't start. After changing the plug it made a difference, but it still sputters when riding , almost as if its out of gas. (Yes there is gas in it :D) The Raptor has never had any major services. It has ~70 hours on it according to the little RPM/Hour gauge. Is it about time to clean the carb?

Ideas?

Pardon the video quality, I am out in the boonies currently and did not want to wait for the HD video to upload.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The problem has came about somewhat suddenly. It normally starts right up, however I went to start it the other day and it wouldn't start. After changing the plug it made a difference, but it still sputters when riding , almost as if its out of gas. (Yes there is gas in it :D)

Ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VksPbhGTKIM
Pardon the video quality, I am out in the boonies currently and did not want to wait for the HD video to upload.
Clean the carbs internally and your problem will be cleaned up............:D

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
i see that its wet...where you driving through puddles or washing it? might have gotten water down around the plug. also check that all your carb boots are on tight and there is no vacuum leak.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i see that its wet...where you driving through puddles or washing it? might have gotten water down around the plug. also check that all your carb boots are on tight and there is no vacuum leak.
I did just get done washing it as it was pretty dirty from the last trip. I park the quad at our shop and drove it to the house, which is about 4-5 miles away. It was dirty on the way to the house and I was experiencing the same problems at that time. The seal around the plug on the boot was a little off when I washed it, so some may have gotten in. The problem in the video is really close to how it is at any time lately.

I will check for vacuum leaks and loose boots ASAP though.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
No major service done. Hummm! Me thinks valve adhjustment time wouldent hurt also!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No major service done. Hummm! Me thinks valve adhjustment time wouldent hurt also!
Doh! I didn't want to hear that ;)

I suppose ill drop the quad off to get the carb cleaned and valve work done.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
DOH! Come on you can do it yourself! But just clean those carbs up really really REALLY CLEAN first! If you can lick them and know you wont be sick then thats really clean!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
700 is also easy :p

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
I agree - clean the carbs to get rid of the hesitation when coming onto throttle.

Also, if you have a hard time starting when the engine is cold, adjust the valves - intake valves tighten up as they wear to the point of staying open slightly when cold, greatly reducing compression at low starting RPM.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I will be tearing into all that today. I went out this morning and attempted to start the Rappy and it would start. It would roll over, begin to start and fall on its face.

Last night however, I did get it to run by leaving the choke on just a little. I parked it idling great and then the next morning it would even start.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay Guys, I cleaned the carb today. It wasn't bad at all, but apparently I cleared something out, as it fired right up after I put it back on. Its running great!

With my luck though, something had to go wrong though. I noticed my chain was pretty loose and when i went to tighten up the slack by adjusting the two bolts on the swing arm, one of them broke off, flush.

I suppose ill try to drill and tap them or back it out somehow.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Okay Guys, I cleaned the carb today. It wasn't bad at all, but apparently I cleared something out, as it fired right up after I put it back on. Its running great!

With my luck though, something had to go wrong though. I noticed my chain was pretty loose and when i went to tighten up the slack by adjusting the two bolts on the swing arm, one of them broke off, flush.

It really doesnt take much dirt of any kind, even water to screw up the jets...................

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

You could try this:

SOLD on Ebay

Or a pro on here will find a cheaper way!

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
You must loosen the clamp bolts on the brake disc side of the axle carrier first...did you do this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I actually forgot to do that because I was so excited it was running. My mistake Haha.

Today I went out to start the quad and it won't even fire. There is a small amount of gas underneath the carb too. I have no idea what this things problem is.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
OOPS on the bolts!

Did you replace the o-rings under the float valve seats? They often start leaking after a cleaning, causing overflow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright Guys, Here's an update. As stated earlier in the post, I cleaned the carb and it cleared up the problem initially and then after that it wouldn't start again while cold. I then came to the conclusion that my valves needed to be adjusted. They ended up being to tight and the exhaust valves were great. The quad was running great after this.

I drove the quad for about 15 minutes and parked it. That is when I made this video.

After about 30 minutes, I went to go start the quad again and it would not start. Just sputters and falls on its face. I can only think of two things.

1. Bad Gas (Even though its only a few weeks old)

2. It has something to do with my flashing (R) light that kicks on whenever I ride the quad.

I really don't know where to go with the atv right now guys. Any help is appreciated. If you need another video of what it does while starting, I can make one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts