Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 stock exhaust with spark arrestor removed, k & n with outerwears, removed snorkel, center divider of the airbox lid removed, some of the inner airbox lid removed, one 1" hole in the back of the airbox that has a uni plug filter, Alba aftermarket needles on the third notch down from the top, #25 pilots, 160 and 165 mains and the long gytr air/fuel screws. The Gytr jetting instructions were as follows, stock pipe and airbox mods set the air/fuel screws on the right carb if you were sitting on it at two turns out. The left carb at three turns out. I haven't been able to rider the bike yet because of other things being done. With it sitting at idle it runs perfect. If I rev it from 1/4 to full it revs excellent. The only thing I can see is it blows alittle black smoke out. At this point I would say its running rich. Can I install another 1" uni filter plug or should I adjust the air/fuel screws or move my needles up or down? The Gytr instructions said if any other adjustments needed to made to the air/fuel screws only adjust the left side carb. Thanks for any input.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
02 stock exhaust with spark arrestor removed, k & n with outerwears, removed snorkel, center divider of the airbox lid removed, some of the inner airbox lid removed, one 1" hole in the back of the airbox that has a uni plug filter, Alba aftermarket needles on the third notch down from the top, #25 pilots, 160 and 165 mains and the long gytr air/fuel screws. The Gytr jetting instructions were as follows, stock pipe and airbox mods set the air/fuel screws on the right carb if you were sitting on it at two turns out. The left carb at three turns out. I haven't been able to rider the bike yet because of other things being done. With it sitting at idle it runs perfect. If I rev it from 1/4 to full it revs excellent. The only thing I can see is it blows alittle black smoke out. At this point I would say its running rich. Can I install another 1" uni filter plug or should I adjust the air/fuel screws or move my needles up or down? The Gytr instructions said if any other adjustments needed to made to the air/fuel screws only adjust the left side carb. Thanks for any input.
Most important, how does it run, try it out first and see............

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most important, how does it run, try it out first and see............
I was hoping you or quad would chime in. Ill try to get it out this weekend. I have to work all weekend but I should be able to take it to work with me and ride it around in the back field. Ill report back

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
If it rides rich (but by all means test when riding), add another hole/uni...

Don't understand why GYTR says adjust with only one screw - first of all, they only affect idle mixture; second, no reason not to turn both a bit and keep them equal - just easier to keep track of.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it rides rich (but by all means test when riding), add another hole/uni...

Don't understand why GYTR says adjust with only one screw - first of all, they only affect idle mixture; second, no reason not to turn both a bit and keep them equal - just easier to keep track of.
I just read my GYTR jetting instructions. They say adjusting both mixture screws evenly isnt necessary because of the engines single cylinder design

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Although i agree (and didn't doubt what you said), I still think its easier to remember if they're both set equallly.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
At idle speed, it really doesnt make any difference because of the port size, so keep them equal...........

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can not jet a quad based on the exhaust smoke. It could simply be blowing out old carbon build up, or rich at idle and cleaning up top end. Well it could be a million things really. The best way to test is warm the bike up, put a new plug in and ride it, then do plug chops and see how it looks. You can do plug chops at any rpm to see how the motor is jetted. That or go to a dyno, but reading a plug correctly will get you close.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can not jet a quad based on the exhaust smoke. It could simply be blowing out old carbon build up, or rich at idle and cleaning up top end. Well it could be a million things really. The best way to test is warm the bike up, put a new plug in and ride it, then do plug chops and see how it looks. You can do plug chops at any rpm to see how the motor is jetted. That or go to a dyno, but reading a plug correctly will get you close.
How do I perform the plug chop test?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts