Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I read thru the entire 22pages on the sticky about cleaning the carb and everyones problems with jetting, along with a bunch of other threads and didn't come across a thread with the same problems that I'm having.

This isn't my quad but my buddy is letting me hold onto it and get some use outta it seems he never has time to take her out. Hasn't been rode in a good while. It's a 2001 660 and I adjusted the valves and cleaned the carb already, just can't seem to get these carbs tuned.
It's completely stock and I'm about 50ft above sea level (Tampa,FL). It has a fresh tank of high octane and won't start and stay running without the choke being on at least half way. I went to Home Depot and bought a flexible screw driver extension and have had the A/F screws at 2, 2 1/2, 3, and 3 1/2 out from fully seated. Whenever I give it some throttle with the choke 1/2 way out it'll take a while for the RPM's to come back down if that makes a difference.
I'm new at all of this and haven't had to tune a carb in about 13yrs lol.. I thought that it might be getting to much air so I put a bunch of sealant around the seal part of the air filter and slapped it back on after it was dry.
Any idea's???

Thanks in advance!!
Ryan

·
Registered
349 Posts
First thing I would do is take carbs off and clean the jets out. Make sure you look at the main jet and pilot jet size also, just in case you need that info later.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I would do is take carbs off and clean the jets out. Make sure you look at the main jet and pilot jet size also, just in case you need that info later.
I mentioned that I just cleaned the carbs and adjusted the valves, also everything is completely stock.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The fact you need choke to keep it running, means your pilot jets are extremely dirty, and they are prone to getting dirty during storage, or you may have an extremely bad vacuum leak................
Pilots are the jet that control the fuel delivery at idle and slightly above, thge other thing it could be is that they are too small, but even 22.5 pilots, which is stock, isnt going to cause your problem, I suggest you take the carbs all apart and clean the pilots and the fuel screw area and its passages............

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a descent 5hp 30gal compressor and blew them out at 155psi after I put some carb cleaner on them.. There's a dealership a few mins away, so I'll pick up two each of one size smaller and bigger and see what that does and also see what they have to say. I'll bring the VIN# in but how to I tell if my model is a YFM660RN or a YFM660RNC? I'm new at working with this machine so please bare with me lol...

Thanks,
Ryan

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I got a descent 5hp 30gal compressor and blew them out at 155psi after I put some carb cleaner on them.. There's a dealership a few mins away, so I'll pick up two each of one size smaller and bigger and see what that does and also see what they have to say. I'll bring the VIN# in but how to I tell if my model is a YFM660RN or a YFM660RNC? I'm new at working with this machine so please bare with me lol...

Thanks,
Ryan
The model number wouldnt make any difference to what jets you require.........

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The model number wouldnt make any difference to what jets you require.........
Yea I figured that they wouldn't make a difference, just was wondering.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Your pilot jets are still plugged - air and cleaner alone won't do it - use a strand of copper stolen from a piece of speaker wire, rod them out, spray carb cleaner thru, rod some more, spray some more, then blow out with air. If you don't see a perfectly cylindrical shaft of light coming thru the long, tiny passage, rod and clean some more.

You have a a stock bike (so you say), use the stock jets - no tweaking required. Your pilots are plugged. Once you've truly cleaned them, set your fuel screws to 2.5 and tweak only them from there for best idle, coming onto throttle from idle, and coming down from on the throttle.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Your pilot jets are still plugged - air and cleaner alone won't do it - use a strand of copper stolen from a piece of speaker wire, rod them out, spray carb cleaner thru, rod some more, spray some more, then blow out with air. If you don't see a perfectly cylindrical shaft of light coming thru the long, tiny passage, rod and clean some more.

You have a a stock bike (so you say), use the stock jets - no tweaking required. Your pilots are plugged. Once you've truly cleaned them, set your fuel screws to 2.5 and tweak only them from there for best idle, coming onto throttle from idle, and coming down from on the throttle.

Quadmaniac, how often do you think this happens on here, bike wont idle right, no throttle reponse and the carbs are clean????????????????

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Let's assume for a moment that the carbs are spotless, I tend to agree with the other posters but for the sake of argument and the fact that the OP is adamant I will move on for now.

My first thought would be that one of your carbs or carb boots to the head has a leak, either because the clamp has slipped off or there is a leak in it.

My next thought would be that the spark plug boot isn't fully seated on the plug, or that your plug is in need of cleaning or replacement.

Another thought would be making sure you were at TDC of the compression stroke when adjusting those valves, if you weren't in the right place then this could be the answer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya ya hahaha... To me the carbs looked clean. But yes I didn't think about the settling and sticking of the dirt in there over time for as long as this thing sat. Everything would look and seem clean if nothing is coming out cuz it's stuck.
Steelership is outta stock jets so I'll go with the wire method. What are some other tricks of the trade you've guys used for cleaning?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ya ya hahaha... To me the carbs looked clean. But yes I didn't think about the settling and sticking of the dirt in there over time for as long as this thing sat. Everything would look and seem clean if nothing is coming out cuz it's stuck.
Stealership is outta stock jets so I'll go with the wire method. What are some other tricks of the trade you've guys used for cleaning?
I use torch tip cleaners if they are plugged, at my shop we use an ultra sonic cleaner for cleaning carb parts, we use vinegar as the solution, takes about 10 minutes, it is the same as a jewelery cleaner.........

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Quadmaniac, how often do you think this happens on here, bike wont idle right, no throttle reponse and the carbs are clean????????????????
Maybe 50-100 times a year here in the forum (three ongoing posts right now that I suspect are because the 'clean' carbs still have dirty pilots)and at least twice a year with my riding buddies... they've finally learned, though and are now keeping them clean themselves - I got tired of performing jet cleaning on their bikes in the field.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep you guys were right! Like I said, I'm new at all of this and now I know. Sorry if I was sounding like I was doubting you, just trying to get a feel for how thing works.
It's sounding pretty good and I don't have to even use the choke to start it. Also fabbed a reverse bracket while I was at it. Should be taking the very first run with her shortly after wake up!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yep you guys were right! Like i said, i'm new at all of this and now i know. Sorry if i was sounding like i was doubting you, just trying to get a feel for how thing works.
It's sounding pretty good and i don't have to even use the choke to start it. Also fabbed a reverse bracket while i was at it. Should be taking the very first run with her shortly after wake up!
:d:d:d:d:d

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yep you guys were right! Like i said, i'm new at all of this and now i know. Sorry if i was sounding like i was doubting you, just trying to get a feel for how thing works.
It's sounding pretty good and i don't have to even use the choke to start it. Also fabbed a reverse bracket while i was at it. Should be taking the very first run with her shortly after wake up!
:) :) :) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts