Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
02 raptor 686 k&n alexx exhaust
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad always taught me to learn instead of paying someone so just like the rest of the motor I researched and asked when I needed help. Which I can wait for a friend in a week or so or ask you guys and get wrenching.

02 686 freshly rebuilt
L&a one way
K&n pro design
Big gun eco exhaust
Ek oring chain
Dynojet stage 2 jet kit

From reading and watching him take it apart our carbs have a low and a high side. And of course do the 3mm tube when in there which my friend said he did when we were tuning to get a good idle. so I bought the jet kit cause I like to know what’s in something I use.

So the jet kit says use 144 left and 146 right. As well as it came with needles that have adjustments on them. So the part we’re I get confused at is the

pilot jets, what size? Is it a separate adjustment screw? This control idle, how about the choke?

also what do the adjustments on the needle do? How do I know which to pick?

what it’s doing right now without the jets in there.
Starts right away, choke makes it stall But stays on without, thought choke was needed for warm up. Has a slight stubble upon acceleration, about mid to a little past Boggs down and accelerated again. This is while at idle. When riding boggs a pinch on 1st starting out accelerates good, halfway again chokes so I’ve been shifting to 2nd again accelerate good Boggs midWay.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So installed the jets 144,146 and turn the screws out 3 full turns. Went to change the needles and couldn’t figure out how to take them out. Thought the grey thing holding them would have turned but felt tight. So I just changed the springs since I’ve read that you don’t have to change the needle. assembled everything and when I turned the fuel walked inside and came back out to fuel everywhere. Going tomorrow to get new bowl screws since these are a little stripped anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
The clip positions on the needle are to set the height which affects how much fuel gets pulled in from 1/4 to 3/4ish throttle.
If I remember correctly, I just pulled on the plastic piece with needle nose pliers, the needle will come out after that. The needles are the reason you buy the dynojet kit, 660s don’t really run right on stock needles when modified. You should probably put the clip in the middle position on the needles, or one notch closer to the taper (richer)
You’ll need #25 pilot jets.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to put the needles in, in a little bit went ahead and ordered 25’s as well. Is it 1 or 2 you need?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
2 pilots, both the same size
If you have no airbox lid, get 27.5
not 25.
The needles just pull straight up with needle nose pliers(as said above), put the e-clips in the 3rd grooves to start, and go to 4th grooves if needed.
It's easier to tune with the front fenders off, as you can lift the gas tank and remove both carb caps to adust the needles.
Since you have gas coming from the overflow; did you replace the jet needles(the ones that hang from the float tangs, not the needle jets, the ones in the DJ kit), and the jet needle seats and o-rings? Those parts wear against each other, and the o-rings dry out, causing the float bowls to never fully seal inside, then they overfill and gas leaks out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried taking off the needles but they seem super stuck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can see where they snap into place almost thought I broke it and still stuck.

wow how the jet kit brings it alive! Definitely getting popping during idle now. In 1st definitely noticed a difference definitely wants to take off faster. Bogged a pinch picking up and than threw my head back. Didn’t really get to see the high end side as it’s raining and street is slippery.

can someone explain the symptoms that happen for me.

so when it pops like on idle does it mean lacking fuel?

how about when it Boggs down would that be too much fuel?

trying to get the process of tuning and adjusting for what symptom.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Have you put in the larger pilots yet?
Which needle clip position now?
146/148 mains? and you can probably step up to the 148/150(highest 2 in dj stage2 kit)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I just ordered the pilots should be here in a couple days. Not sure what’s in their now.

needles were super stuck so waiting for my friend that’s been helping me see if he can take them out if not order new sleeves.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No I just ordered the pilots should be here in a couple days. Not sure what’s in their now.

needles were super stuck so waiting for my friend that’s been helping me see if he can take them out if not order new sleeves.
Sleeves??
Do you mean the Slides that the needle jets fit into?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plastic sleeves the di needles go into with the washers etc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grey plastic they drop into. The one I tried almost seems like it’s glued. Needle nose slips off the grey holder from the amount of force pulling up

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Grey plastic they drop into. The one I tried almost seems like it’s glued. Needle nose slips off the grey holder from the amount of force pulling up
Gotcha

Since you're replacing the needles anyway, I'de try gently tapping it out with a hammer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was messing with it for a bit. Backed the idle screw out a lot and got it to stop popping constantly, occasional pop. Took it for a spin. Take off little sluggish but picks up right away, get a bogg about midrange, pops a bit, and than accelerates. Right now I’d rather order the plastic sleeves and put the new needles in that than try and take these out and possibly break something since it’s running right now and the pilot jets come in on Monday.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What’s the 3rd jet in there for? I’ve changed the mains and the pilots noticed theirs a 3rd.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts