Raptor Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
sorry just wanted to make sure I was staying on your list and was doing things right. About to throw some oil in it, throw another ground to chassis just in case, and than check for spark. I’ll report back in a little bit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
@QuadManiac so did thee mentioned above. Put the plug to the header and cranked and sure enough I have spark. So I cranked again, yes spark but counted to 5 this time let go. Stayed consistent with a little mini lightning storm. Shut it off. Got a drink came back. Cranked again, spark yes counted to 5 stayed consistently on.

it’s a little late to try and start I’ll keep you posted in the morning. I appreciate all the help, lessons, and patience through out this learning process.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Great! Now on to fuel... and starting fluid, IF necessary.

Did you determine WHY you had no spark?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
verified your list. When I went to check for spark it was gone. Changed the stator and so far the two times I’ve cranked it’s had a nice white spark. Going to put the boots, filter back on and mount the tank since the carb was still on. Let you know in the a.m.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Good luck! (where are you located?)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I have to go to work. But I had everything together from last night. Turned on the petcock and went to start. Have a little cough after like 3 turns, I stopped. Started again and cranked right up. Opened up the idle screw a little to level it out and took it for a ride. Thank you so much for helping bring it back to life.

has some popping but I’ll get the tuning done another day have to go to the good ole job.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
WOOHOO! Now the 10 pages is freakin' worth it...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
So warmed her up yesterday and choke seems to work as I needed to use it to warm up. I had a slight hesitation so to work that out. If it’s from start to 1/4 it’s the idle screw, 1/4 to 3/4 is the low carb, and than 3/4 to full throttle is high carb.

right now I have the k&n without a lid. I was getting popping at idle so I turned the screw out a bit. How do you know when it’s just right?

Is my adjusting based on me revving at idle and making sure it revs straight through? If I hit a problem I adjust that circuit?

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
There is no 'low carb' and 'high carb'. They both contribute almost equally across all throttle positions and RPMs. The left intake port in the head is just a bit smaller so, at high throttle, it flows a bit less so the left main jet is one step smaller... that's it. The only reason the Raptor has two carbs is because a single carb would have made the engine stack-up too tall to fit.

SO
Off to 1/4 throttle is the pilot jets and fuel screws;
1/4 to 3/4 is the needles;
3/4 to wide open is the mains.

If you're going to run with a lid, test with a lid. You are too lean without it and your adjustments are worthless... If you're going to run without the lid, then jet and test accordingly, with it off.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts