Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
They refunded me for 1 of the jets. So I just ordered one 25, and two 27.5 just in case I need them later. Slip on won’t be here till mid aug so I’ll be ready for it if I need it.

also since one of the needles was hard to get off. I was thinking of ordering one of the cheapo carbs and use the parts from that to put into this carb if something happens applying force to get the needle off.

·
Master of the Electron
14,895 Posts
Main jet (both), Pilot jet (both), Choke enrichment jet (left carb only)..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So had to order another carb. So when that gets here going to swap everything over to that one. Had too many problems with this one. Couldn’t get needles off sleeve easily. The threads are different on the Pilot jets. yes I double checked even ordered another jet and clearly the other jet on it thread is way bigger. The rest screwed in fine.

So my question is. When I get the new one. Swap all the jets over. Three turns out on the screws and 2 1/2 on the idle one or adjust accordingly but as a baseline.

And I also have the dj needles where do I start with those. I believe I’ve read 4th clip from the top?

·
Registered
751 Posts
4th needle clip, with 2 grooves above, not below.
That's a good starting point for them.
I would start at 2.5 turns counter clockwise on the air/fuel screws too.
I actually ordered a pair of Vito's a/f screws last night($35), as I forgot how hard it is to adjust them once the carbs are on the engine.
The Vito's have a knob machined on the bottom that you turn by hand, as opposed to trying to fit fingers And a small screwdriver in there.
They are worth it, and I've used them before. I was trying to only spend what this 660 had to have to come back to life, but the $35 is worth it for the effort and frustration saved.
As for the idle, turn that by ear once the engine is warm to get the idle right. Don't be concerned about the number of turns on that one( the knob on the side of the left carb where the throttle cable goes in).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Lol I bought the pro motion screwDriver and it’s still a pain in the Ass. Someone suggested to thin the flat bit part down as it gets better grip. Cause it does slip off while it’s stock. And a pita. Have to do it off to hear the clicking to be sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Carb I ordered
The reviews show worked good Once everything is swapped over so hopefully this is all I need to get it running right. Bought a trx250 for my teenager so dying to get this going.

should I worry about the bowl height?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Carb I ordered
The reviews show worked good Once everything is swapped over so hopefully this is all I need to get it running right. Bought a trx250 for my teenager so dying to get this going.

should I worry about the bowl height?
What do you mean bowl height??
If you mean float height, absoloutely check them, do the clear tube method.
You never know where or if the floats were even set on those.

I would save the headache at this point and buy the $35 Vito's air/fuel screws too.
Make them an easy adjustment, because hot summer vs cold winter = carb adjustments and jet changes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well son of a biscuits. Does that count for Florida too??

so if it gets really cold i would have to re jet this bad boy?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well son of a biscuits. Does that count for Florida too??

so if it gets really cold i would have to re jet this bad boy?
Yes, but nothing dramatic usually for 4-strokes.
Most likely just go down one main size in each carb, maybe small adjustment on a/f screws.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok so got new carb and changing the jets over. And sure enough the left side float pilot jet is a different thread. Noticeable pulling the jets out side by side, the thread is different. And this is on the newer carb I just received. Am I missing something here??

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ok so got new carb and changing the jets over. And sure enough the left side float pilot jet is a different thread. Noticeable pulling the jets out side by side, the thread is different. And this is on the newer carb I just received. Am I missing something here??

That is very strange
All the 660 carbs I've ever worked on have the same pilot thread size, including the one I have in my garage now.
Do you have any pictures?

Are any of these oem carbs, or is this just on the china cheapo's?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Definitely cheapos. Haven’t had any luck finding mikuni. Previous carb had the same issue along with a couple other things. So ordered the newer one and had same issue of threads different.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Definitely cheapos. Haven’t had any luck finding mikuni. Previous carb had the same issue along with a couple other things. So ordered the newer one and had same issue of threads different.
That sucks, but I think the best thing you can do at this point is to send the cheapos back, and keep looking for oem carbs.
I'll post a link here if I find any.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I’ve been looking since I got it. Reviews for the carb we’re all swap the jets over, tune, and works. But if someone else was having the same thread issue figured I would have seen it in comments but nada.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Aren’t they suppose to have a stamp on the side that identifies them as mikuni?

My friend took the 25 pilot and the original that came with it to his dads. Has jetting tools so hopefully they can match the stock one to the 25.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
update: so I’m guessing I have two Chinese poo poo carbs. Six pack helped me find oem one but out of $$ right now so have to work with what I have.

so I chose to replace the carb: the needles were stuck from the pic you could see the effects. Think they super glued them on. Anyways they were the old ones.
I used the stock stuff from the new carb for the dj needles which is the needle with clip, just making sure I did it right?

plus I had the issue of the thread size on my left side carb of the pilot jet. So currently have two solutions that will hopefully work. #1 Friends dad has jetting equipment took the stock and the 25 to hopefully match them. Which this I can test ride later.

#2 sent the other spare pilot jet that is bigger to mike at jetsrus, hopefully he can find a solution to have the correct thread size for the cheapo carbs and help anyone going through the same thing.

everything is ready to go except for that sob pilot jet. Lol soon hopefully I’ll be able to unleash this beast.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts