Raptor Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
So put to tdc. Either way I start with resetting the tensioner correct?
From their I’ll be able to tell if it’s on timing because the rockers will be down on the springs?
As far as clearance, like check the valve clearance?

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Yes, do the tensioner. Check for TDC on both flywheel and valves (valves will be under NO rocker tension - but intake will just have closed.- rock back and forth and watch the intake just start to compress then release)... Rockers will be UP - not touching valve stems - this is the same place where you go to adjust valve clearance - that's where you want to be with the I in the window.

If inconclusive: pull tensioner, pull head cover, verify and/or fix timing, re-install cover, reset and install tensioner w/o center spring and bolt, install spring and bolt.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Hey, none taken!

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)
Yes, do the tensioner. Check for TDC on both flywheel and valves (valves will be under NO rocker tension - but intake will just have closed.- rock back and forth and watch the intake just start to compress then release)... Rockers will be UP - not touching valve stems - this is the same place where you go to adjust valve clearance - that's where you want to be with the I in the window.

If inconclusive: pull tensioner, pull head cover, verify and/or fix timing, re-install cover, reset and install tensioner w/o center spring and bolt, install spring and bolt.
Ok took the tensioner off. Set marks on stator cover. If I go past it I see the rockers move the springs up and down. But on the tdc mark I’m not able to slide a feeler if I’m suppose too

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
But the valves have stopped moving? You're probably there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Yes. If I go the other direction towards the other mark in the flywheel I see them compress the spring but on the tdc they aren’t moving correct. But I tried to stick the feeler gauge I used earlier and it wouldn’t slide under if that matters.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
turn a bit further, it should... i think you're ok. Turn another crank revolution and they all should fit the gauge.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Took tensioner off turned to tdc mark but was on the stroke that if I move the stator bolt back and forth the rockers move. Than I put the tensioner back on. I did a turn to the next stroke tdc Mark and the feeler gauge slides in way to freely than it did before. Do I readjust the valves at this point?

When I had adjusted the valves previously to taking the tensioner off It felt as if it spun more freely when I was turning at the stator bolt. When I took it off now and turned you actually felt the stroke as you turned. Was this cause the chain was to tight?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you don't have a test light to check for spark, just buy a new spark plug.
For that matter, most any plug should fire if it fits the cap(doesnt need to fit cylinder head), if you have a good plug in a mower or anything else you can rob.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
If you don't have a test light to check for spark, just buy a new spark plug.
For that matter, most any plug should fire if it fits the cap(doesnt need to fit cylinder head), if you have a good plug in a mower or anything else you can rob.
I have a sparE I’m using.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #155 (Edited)
Well I charged the battery. Tested it a couple times and it does seem that I have spark. Starting consist of it just turning over and smelling like gas. Choke and throttle suck in air while playing with them but still no luck.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
No - the tensioner better be out - how is the chain going to work?

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Choke doesn't change air flow, just fuel... What ARE you hearing?

Follow my list. Don't progress to next step till you are sure of success on the current step.

" it does seem that I have spark " doesn't sound very convincing. Do you have repeating, strong spark during the entire start attempt or not?

We are now on page 8!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
The seem to have spark was because I did it for like two seconds the first time. This time I did it for longer to be sure it was continuous.
Carb is cleaned its flowing. Intake boots were wet and screw under bowl when unscrewed, flows.

so moved on to the timing. Which I lined up the stator cover, made sure was tdc. Took the cover off. Which if I recall the timing marks are we’re their suppose to be.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Okay. next!

141 - 160 of 190 Posts