Raptor Forum banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Would a compression test be good to add to the mix? Friend seems to think I might have blown the piston rings when it started last since the header was glowing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
@QuadManiac so took rocker off last night to verify it’s is in timing. Lined up the mark down below. Took off the tensioner. Verified still in timing. Put the rocker cover back on. Reset tensioner. Put that back in. Than put spring and bolt in. So was going to adjust valves, but wanted to ask before I continue.

on the rockers if I put my finger on it and wiggle it I can make the rockers move enough that I can make a tapping sound. Is this normal?? It’s like a whisker of free play.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Gonna stop messing with it for today but the intake side. I can fit .005 on all. .007 in two, not one. .008 does not fit any.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Don't get out of sync with my list! Don't listen to 'friends'. They usually don't know jack and simply muddy the waters.

Spray starting fluid in the carb floats - does it try to start and run?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Don't get out of sync with my list! Don't listen to 'friends'. They usually don't know jack and simply muddy the waters.

I have to check the exhaust side valves and than I’ll try the starter fluid. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #168

I set exhaust to .007 and intake to .005 I sealed everything up: the carb is on right now the tank is not. Next move you said was spray starter fluid through the butterflies?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,411 Posts
I set exhaust to .007 and intake to .005 I sealed everything up: the carb is on right now the tank is not. Next move you said was spray starter fluid through the butterflies?
Thru the carb "throat's", not floats. Darn auto correct.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
@QuadManiac So far I’ve completed these. Timing marks good, put rocker cover back, reset tensioner, checked valve clearance. I checked spark at that time as well as my friend and we both saw Arc on plug so assumed all good there. So today I went got starter fluid and sprayed inside the chamber and still only turns over. No pops no nada just the air being pushed around. So I said let me check spark before I make a post cause quad gonna ask next did you check spark and sure enough no spark. So I know we cranked for a little the other day so I put it on the charger to get a full charge just to be sure I’m good their.

So looks like I have a spark issue but wanted to wait to hear from you about suggestions?

Would my guess of stator being bad or woodruff key failure cause my issues?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Took off stator cover, Found a tiny super thin piece of shiny metal magnetized to flywheel. And inside of flywheel made almost a checker like pattern with I’d say the oil cause I could wipe it off with a towel. Looked evenly spaced out almost like a pattern.
Would that be something unusual?

l&a one way looks to be intact as well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
1st - carbs, cleaned a week or so still installed since than.
2nd - verify that the cam timing - was correct
3rd - check and/or adjust the valves - intake .005 exhaust .007
4th - check for spark - was having issues with it on and off, friend that helps mentioned as well spark didn’t seem strong. I saw spark not super bright, but when I tried the last time had no spark again. So unplugged the rect and cut the red wire and still no luck. So ordered a ricks stator. Just installed it. Had taken the oil out cause I thought it was necessary so going to get more since powersports is closed tomorrow. And I’m off tomorrow to try and turn it on.
5th - check for fuel delivery to carbs - gas was shooting out the carbs without the boots last time I tried to start it so I assume that’s delivery.

anything I missed or suggestions before I try and start it tomorrow?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,411 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Best I could describe it, is the size of a tiny piece of orange juice pulp. Thought it was aluminum at first but not sure.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
If the engine is turning well the battery is fine. Oil on flywheel is expected - it's bathed in it.

Get spark back... ignore all distractions till then.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
If the engine is turning well the battery is fine. Oil on flywheel is expected - it's bathed in it.

Get spark back... ignore all distractions till then.
Should I try and start it without the boots or go ahead and mount everything back on as normal. Boots, filter, gas tank?

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
GET SPARK

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I’ve been testing it with a spare plug I have. Is that ok? Sorry I meant the previous stuff once I have spark back.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Once you have strong, continuous (not hit and miss, not it was there last time I checked I think), guaranteed SPARK, on any plug you choose - it will not run correctly without the air filter and air box mounted as intended - with whatever mods you are jetted for.

You can supply fuel to the carbs anyway you want, but a fuel supply is obviously necessary for starting/running.

Getting awful close to page 10...

161 - 180 of 190 Posts